Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am I doing wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What am I doing wrong?

So we leave Harrisonville a little after 6 to head down to Fairfield (nailed them down there in the Spring). So we figured we'd make the trip and see how the Summer fishing is down there.

First thing we noticed, water was 10 - 12' lower than it was in the Spring. Almost unrecognizable up river a little bit where the channel ends.

So we fish some of the timber in 12 - 15 fow, all we get are a tap or two, no fish. Now I don't stay at one tree to long, dip it a few times, flip it and let it come back to the boat, fish it deep and shallow and then move on. So we go up river a little bit, find some deeper water. There are some boats that are in simliar positions so we feel we're at least trying the right techniques. Didn't catch a thing, so about noon we load up and head back to Sparrowfoot.

As soon as we pull in the quarry, I pull in a keeper. Then we found a few more, and caught a total of about 6 or 7 in an hour or so. Thing is, they were all in the mouth of the quarry in 7 or 8 fow up by the banks. I'd flip towards the bank and let it come back to me and they were hitting it about halfway between the boat and the bank. Ended up just throwing them all back.

Just a weird, frustrating day.

Now I see some people come up to a tree and tie up and stay there for a half an hour or more. I tend to like to troll and stop at tree to tree, and not spend more than a few minutes there if nothing.

Is that a good strategy, or do most of you stay in a spot longer before moving on?

I just can not get this Summer fishing down with any consistancy. Either way, it's always good to get out with some friends on the water I guess is the main thing, but man pulling in some fish is even better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CallWhy816 View Post
    So we leave Harrisonville a little after 6 to head down to Fairfield (nailed them down there in the Spring). So we figured we'd make the trip and see how the Summer fishing is down there.

First thing we noticed, water was 10 - 12' lower than it was in the Spring. Almost unrecognizable up river a little bit where the channel ends.

So we fish some of the timber in 12 - 15 fow, all we get are a tap or two, no fish. Now I don't stay at one tree to long, dip it a few times, flip it and let it come back to the boat, fish it deep and shallow and then move on. So we go up river a little bit, find some deeper water. There are some boats that are in simliar positions so we feel we're at least trying the right techniques. Didn't catch a thing, so about noon we load up and head back to Sparrowfoot.

As soon as we pull in the quarry, I pull in a keeper. Then we found a few more, and caught a total of about 6 or 7 in an hour or so. Thing is, they were all in the mouth of the quarry in 7 or 8 fow up by the banks. I'd flip towards the bank and let it come back to me and they were hitting it about halfway between the boat and the bank. Ended up just throwing them all back.

Just a weird, frustrating day.

Now I see some people come up to a tree and tie up and stay there for a half an hour or more. I tend to like to troll and stop at tree to tree, and not spend more than a few minutes there if nothing.

Is that a good strategy, or do most of you stay in a spot longer before moving on?

I just can not get this Summer fishing down with any consistancy. Either way, it's always good to get out with some friends on the water I guess is the main thing, but man pulling in some fish is even better.
    sounds like a fun day to me ?

Post Thanks / Like

It was, it's always nice to get out and I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining.

I was just frustrated, and thought I maybe doing something wrong.

My main question would be, how long do you stick around clump of trees before you move on? I feel like I'm being to impatient sometimes and moving to quick.

Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on the bite. If the bite is good stay at that stump, no bites move on. Sat. night I fished shortville only moved the boat once and caught 100+ only 12 keepers but the bite was good and had alot of fun.
    Give someone a fish and you feed them for a day; teach someone to fish and you feed them for life.
    Matthew 5:19 "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."

Post Thanks / Like

Are you fishing jigs or minnows? From what I have seen you can catch them on jigs but the crappie are wanting the minnows now.
    Give someone a fish and you feed them for a day; teach someone to fish and you feed them for life.
    Matthew 5:19 "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."

Post Thanks / Like

I rarely, if ever fish with minnows, and that was going through my head all day also.

Is that we may have been catching fish if we had been using minnows.

Is Summer (and I would guess Winter) the best times to be using minnows?

Appreciate all the helpful responses by the way. I've only really been focusing on crappie for a few years now, and I typically play golf in my free time during the Summer and fish crappie Fall and Spring. So I'm still not very familiar with tracking these things down in the Summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Once the water temp gets above 75 minnows seem to be better for me. As the water gets warmer I go to a straight minnow set. I can catch fish on a jig when the water gets warmer as long as it has a minnow. Stay on the move but fish every tree on all sides. JMHO

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice, I'd say next weekend (although it sounds like it'll be much cooler) I'm gonna get me a few dozen minnows and dip some trees again.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=CallWhy816;1614246]I rarely, if ever fish with minnows, and that was going through my head all day also.

CW, I felt the same way for a long time. Wouldn't allow a minnow in my boat. Since the water temps hit 85, minnows have out produced jigs at least by a 8 to one margin for me. I am now a BELIEVER and will never thumb my nose at a minnow fisherman again! For all those "minner dunkers" I have offended in the past, please forgive this short, fat, balding, old man. I have seen the wrong of my ways. I am a new man!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

never to old to learn Bob, never,,,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast