Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Zinc Anodes ??? Can somebody answer my question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Zinc Anodes ??? Can somebody answer my question.

Hi Everybody!

I purchased Hyfrofoil stabilizers to place on my little 9.9 Johnson outboard.
    But, I see that there is a zinc anode on one of the little wings in the way.
    Since it has something to do with chemicals, electricity, and something about
    the engine being damaged, can someone tell me if it's ok to move it out of the
    way; and is there anything special I need to do?

"Much appreciated!"
    Rick.
    Formally: BoxingRef_Rick.

Post Thanks / Like

Anions and Cations are negative and positively charged ions (Molecules) that are dissolved in the water. Water conducts electricity better when there are salts dissolved in the water.

Different types of metals placed close to each other also conduct electricity between the atoms of the metals. A current forms between to different metals that are placed in contact with each other. Thermocouples are made based on this principle. As the temperature gets warmer more electrons flow from one metal to the other and more current is produced.

The Zinc Anode is there to protect the motor's metal. Zinc is more reactive that other metals (Steel) and it's sacrificed first to protect your motor. ie the zinc ions are dissolved in the water instead of the steel or iron metal.

It's all about the number of electrons in the outer orbits of the atoms. Some atoms have a more stable number or electrons and others need another electron to become stable. While other atoms want to give up an extra electron to become more stable.

Your hot water heater also has a zinc anode that does the same thing inside your hot water heater.

Quote Originally Posted by boxingref_rick
    Hi Everybody!

I purchased Hyfrofoil stabilizers to place on my little 9.9 Johnson outboard.
    But, I see that there is a zinc anode on one of the little wings in the way.
    Since it has something to do with chemicals, electricity, and something about
    the engine being damaged, can someone tell me if it's ok to move it out of the
    way; and is there anything special I need to do?

"Much appreciated!"
    Rick.
    Last edited by Moose1am; 03-31-2006 at 07:40 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    Anions and Cations are negative and positively charged ions (Molecules) that are dissolved in the water. Water conducts electricity better when there are salts dissolved in the water.

Different types of metals placed close to each other also conduct electricity between the atoms of the metals. A current forms between to different metals that are placed in contact with each other. Thermocouples are made based on this principle. As the temperature gets warmer more electrons flow from one metal to the other and more current is produced.

The Zinc Anode is there to protect the motor's metal. Zinc is more reactive that other metals (Steel) and it's sacrificed first to protect your motor. ie the zinc ions are dissolved in the water instead of the steel or iron metal.

It's all about the number of electrons in the outer orbits of the atoms. Some atoms have a more stable number or electrons and others need another electron to become stable. While other atoms want to give up an extra electron to become more stable.

Your hot water heater also has a zinc anode that does the same thing inside your hot water heater.
    Dang man! Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? :D

Post Thanks / Like

It should be alright to remove the Zinc. The only time you need Zinc on your motor is if it is being kept in the water all the time. As long as you take your boat out you don't need it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again. I just need to know if its ok to move this little zinc thing further back on the motor behind the new hydrofoil stabilizers I'm wanting to add
    onto my outboard, and if I need to prep the metals involved any special way?
    Thanks again!
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like

as long as it is connected to the metal on the engine it will protect the engine ,, as long as it is in the water that is ! , so yes , it is ok to move it .

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

What Allen said yes, but if you move item, make sure you remove the paint where you relocate it. There must be electrical contact between the zinc plate and the engine metal, or bare metal contact between the new location and bolt(s) holding the two parts together, and that the new location is not electrically isolated from the main engine casting, by rubber inserts or whatever etc.