Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jacomo, yet again again - 8.7.2011

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jacomo, yet again again - 8.7.2011

Well, I set out early this morning like usual on Jacomo (first time since having the little one,) and the jig bite was pretty slow, so I was killing some time waiting for the marina to open, and thats when the gust front decided to hit... There I was, out in open water, when the wind started ramping up from a calm morning to making 2' white caps and it the little boat, that can be a bit spooky. Anyhow, it blew for about ten minutes solid, and with the TM on five, it was all that little MotorGuide could do to keep in one spot.

Long story short, I survived, and made it to the marina to pick up some bait and headed out to my first brush pile. The wind was still blowing pretty erradically, so staying on my spot was a bit of a challenge, but I was able to pull 12 keepers before the bite slowed. I moved across the way and went to the next pile. By then the wind had switched, making staying on that brush pile a challenge, but after five fish in less than three minutes, I decided it would probably be worth it to set an anchor and just control the swing. Another long story short, after two hours, I packed up and headed back to the ramp with another limit, and all of it before 9.30 am :D.

I really should venture out to a few different areas of the lake, but its just hard to walk away from stacks of fish when they're hungry...

Plus it should make taking the kids out easier this week if I know fish are around.
    I need my sleep... I need about eight hours a day, and at least ten at night. - Bill Hicks

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like you are on them,just be careful out there on them whitecaps.don't need anyone getting hurt over a few fish

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. I am glad I ended up riding it out, but nevertheless, there were definitely a couple moments where I was second guessing myself. I've weathered numerous storms for the sake of a few fish, but I was normally in the Ranger and not a 14' Lowe V with a casting deck in the front...
    I need my sleep... I need about eight hours a day, and at least ten at night. - Bill Hicks

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to be sinking brush. That's ALL I'm hearing about from North to South and I havent taken the time to sink any. I'm catching some fish, but definitely not the limits (and above) that I read about all the time. Definitely, next summer will be different. Congrats on a great catch.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

There dozens of marked brush piles all over the lakes here in Jackson County, but (in my opinion) the best ones are either a) the ones that aren't marked any more or b) the ones that create a series of isolated cover in various depths within the same area. One of my favorite coves has four piles (6', 15', 18', and 22') so I can normally chase them around where ever they may be throughout the day or night.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like an awesome day on Jacomo to me! Congrats on the catch.

Post Thanks / Like

congrats on a good day

Post Thanks / Like

congrats on the good catch day and like said before be safe no fish worth getting dead... of sinking of said boat, sounds like you used your head and made a bad day a great day. yea it is hard to leave them honey holes, wish I had one...