Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking For a Good Hi-Vis Braided Line

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking For a Good Hi-Vis Braided Line

I currently use the Stren Hi-Vis Gold mono. line in 8 or 10 lb. test on all my jig poles and for spiderrigging. I catch a lot of my fish by watching where my line goes into the water. My eyes aren't that great anymore and I just can't see the clear lines.
    I'm wanting to try a Hi-Vis braid so that I can have 30 lb. test for 8 lb. diameter. That way if I hang up jigging or spiderrigging I can get my stuff back and not spend so much time re-rigging. Also, I was wondering if the sensitivity would be better, say jigging in 10 to 12 FOW.
    I haven't started looking yet to see what's out there so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Suffix orange good at first but eventually loses color.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Slabbandit ... I'm currently using PowerPro 10/2 Hi-vis Yellow braid. And even though it's several years old, been flipped on the reel spool, and faded to about 1/2 of it's original bright yellow color ... it still casts & performs just fine. Even faded, it's almost as visible as the 4# Stren Gold that my fishing buddy uses.

I don't know that you'd need 30# test ... but, whether you get 10/2, 20/6, or 30/8 -- I do know that you will need TWO other things :

One is a pair of "Fiskar for Kids" scissors (available at WallyWorld for around $2 on sale) to cut the braid with, to insure getting a nice, clean, blunt cut tag end ... which will make it much easier to get the tag end thru a jighead hook eye. Most other cutting tools will leave a bit of frayed fibers on the tag end, and with braid being so dead limp, it makes it harder to get the line tag thru the small openings of the hook eye ... when those fibers are present on the tag end.

The second is a piece of wood or a wooden dowel rod. This would be used to wrap the braid around, when pulling a bait free from a snag. The small diameter & no stretch properties of braid will make it similar to wire, if you wrap it around your hand/fingers & try to pull your bait free ... you're going to get cut, and cut BAD !! And I don't recommend wrapping it around the butt handle of your rod, either ... especially if it's cork or foam ... as it can cut into these, as well. You'll be OK using a rod handle, if your rod handle is a graphite Tenn style handle .... but, even they are kinda slick, and the braid can slip unless it's wrapped quite a few times around the handle. The dowel/wood method is just easier, & safer (for you & your equipment). Trust me ... I've done "been there" Doh

Regardless of whether you go with PowerPro, or some other brand of braid ... these two "tools" will make using it a lot easier & safer for you !!

As to sensitivity vs mono ... OH YEAH !! Even a "peck" in 20 FOW will translate to a "good thump", on a sensitive rod.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

My deep fishing gear consists of a Sage z axis rod with Fireline 8-2lb fused. I use a deep ledge 1/4oz jig and i swear i can feel a fish burp.. I love the no stretch of the braids/fused lines because you can just snap your rod and most of the time the jig pops loose.

I would also go with the lighter braids or you will be winching in trees this stuff is tuffffffff.....

Post Thanks / Like

I use PowerPro Yellow 10-2 and very satisfied with it. Crappiepappy was dead on with the things ya'll also need!

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Stren also makes Braid in Hi Vis.. I use STREN Hi Vis Sonic Braid. 8# test 1# diam.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Just bought some Tuf Line 10/2. Good line and at Amazon.com you can buy 1200 yards for 78 bucks.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the same problem with seeing. We did an experiment several years ago testing the visability of several different lines. Suffix Hi Vis yellow was the best at that time. There may be something new out now that is better but I'll stick with the Suffix since I have several spools.

Whoops , forget that as I see you asked about braided
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Power Pro

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

powerpro or suffix 832