Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smithville Dam???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville Dam???

Still being very new to the Smithville Lake, I have been fishing a few spots I have learned about from people on here with alright luck. I had heard somewhere not too long ago that crappie can be caught some at the Dam. I was curious if anyone has been fishing the dam lately or if anyone would know? If there are some slabs to catch there, beings I am restricted to the bank due to no boat, where at around the dam do I go to fish? Thanks and good luck out there!!

Post Thanks / Like

Last Summer I did really good trolling crankbaits along the face of the Dam in about 14 FOW running the baits about 12ft deep. I caught fish anywhere on the face of the Dam but my best luck was towards the south end just outside the mouth of those little coves there. I you park by the species list sign and walk straight down to the water you could set up a slip bobber rig with a minnow and set your bobber stop at about 10ft and give it a good cast out you can contact those fish. The 14 FOW I was trolling in was pretty close to the bank so a good cast out should reach them, and I actually had better luck in the afternoon than in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Great tip STL! Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billd2626 View Post
    Great tip STL! Thanks for sharing.
    No prob, I was actually trolling the Dam for walleye and kept catching these pesky 9-10 1/2 inch cookie cutter crappie who would have thought that would happen:rolleyes: but nothing like taking home some crappie as your bonus fish when you're fishing for walleye :D