Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling crankbaits at night?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling crankbaits at night?

So, I have been having pretty good luck trolling for slabs this year (nice cats as well). When the guy I take asked me a question I couldn't really answer off the top of my head. Why can't you troll cranks at night for crappie? I think it's a matter of sight for crappie? Appreciate any inputThumbs Up!

Posted on my local state board and still looking for someone who might have tried it or have a reason it would or want work! I understand you must know the lake... I'm more interested in the feasibility actually catching fish => to daytime trolling!

Post Thanks / Like

i believe creekslick on here said he tried it at a place that produced during the day with no luck at night,hes the only one i know who has tried it

Post Thanks / Like

i think crappie are like most fish, they have a lateral line also and will feed from vbrations, much like a bass, bluegill. i cant think of one reason whey they wouldnt hit a crank at nite.......except having the lure in the correct place.... interesting to see what others have to say...........

Post Thanks / Like

I know of someone that has tried it at night and had success. Just seems like it would be a pain trying to manuever the boat in the dark and keep up with everything. I have not tried it as when I want to fish at night, I just anchor, drop a minnow and pull in some fish. Less hassle and more relaxing.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

I have thought about trying to push cranks at night and use clear/blue stren and a black light. Nagivation wouldnt be hard with my depth finder map with GPS. Just havnt tried it yet. Good luck.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blueball View Post
    i believe creekslick on here said he tried it at a place that produced during the day with no luck at night,hes the only one i know who has tried it
    Yea I did. I did not catch any after it got dark.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by callshy View Post
    Just seems like it would be a pain trying to manuever the boat in the dark and keep up with everything. I have not tried it as when I want to fish at night, I just anchor, drop a minnow and pull in some fish. Less hassle and more relaxing.
    I usually anchor and drop a minow as well. And now that I think about it, boat control and watching the rod tips would be a PINTA, Nnt to mention line crosses and snags... Where did I put my minow bucket againDoh!!

Post Thanks / Like

IMO baitfish school up at night and move shallower. Crappie follow. In my normal daytime trolling areas, there does seem to be drop off in bites at a certain time in the evening. I have not tried at night yet (wanted too, just have not got her done yet).