Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Strong Loop Knots

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strong Loop Knots

I know a lot of people use multiple hooks per line and most use some version of a loop knot to tie the first jig or hook on. I have tried every loop knot I can find and have yet to find one which retains even half of the line strength. I have spent hours in the garage with a few ice cold beverages tying different loop knots and testing them by pulling on them with a fish scale to see at what point they break. Very crude I know but it has proven to me that as of yet, I have not found a loop knot I would be willing to trust.

Does anyone care to share what loop knots you use?

From my experience, it is not the loop itself that is weak, it is the bottom half of the line. Basically, the line below the loop is where I continually see failure. My only solution to this point has been to use a three way swivel but as you all know, that can be very time consuming and quite frustrating at times. I would prefer to use a loop knot if possible but I just hate loosing fish due to a knot failure! Especially when it is a two jig setup and I loose both of them! Doh

Thanks,
    Keith
    Last edited by wheels70; 08-03-2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Cant spell.....

Post Thanks / Like

I use an improved cinch knot and leave the tag end slightly longer than the distance i want my lures apart. Simply tie the 2nd lure to the tag end and good to go. Works for me

Post Thanks / Like

Wheels 70,

I use some excellent loop knots, been machine tested even and they don't lose hardly anything, which can vary on mono. The top knot's really a Hank Parker knot- double the line and size accordingly for the loop (which you can also vary), wrap around the loop 3X's and back through the loop and pull. The knot will form a figure 8 when set correctly, if not it will ball up into a weak knot at best. The bottom's my modification of the same knot but only once around the loop. Trim the tag. This knot holds exceptionally well. This is an exceptional mono knot, NOT braid which I won't fish. There are a ton of applications for these knots anything from jigs to bait/weight fishing. You will use more line because the line will break at the weak spots and not at the knot. It's really noticeable when bank fishing. Braids slipping qualities will cause it to cut itself, along with your equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Question Wheels......I too would like to hear more suggestions on this one, particularly for braided line. I've never had much success with any that I've tried and have just relented to using single jigs or hooks whenever hangups are present.

Post Thanks / Like

Lucky,

I think if you go to North American Fishing Club there should be some helpful info on braid. I'm pretty sure, it's the counterpart of North American Hunter. Anyway, they had knot wars on their TV show and did extensive studies on braid. Unfortunately I didn't get to see them all, but I did see the mono winner, which was similar to mine. Braid has some characteristics and they did a very good job of explaining them IMO. All of the best mono knots sucked with braid and vice versa. I dig around and look myself and let you know, time prevailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs UpHands ClappingHands Clapping <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

maybe some suggestions....

Knot Cards
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

Post Thanks / Like

I posted this in the "Huckabee loop" thread, but here it is again. The non-slip mono loop is THE standard loop used in saltwater fly and light tackle spin fishing. Knot gurus like Bill Nash and Lefty Kreh swear by it. It tests at around 100% and is very easy to tie.

I posted a couple of videos in the other thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I posted this in the "Huckabee loop" thread, but here it is again. The non-slip mono loop is THE standard loop used in saltwater fly and light tackle spin fishing. Knot gurus like Bill Nash and Lefty Kreh swear by it. It tests at around 100% and is very easy to tie.

I posted a couple of videos in the other thread.
    I use this knot at times. I have always called this the Rapala loop. It is recommended for pulling the original Rapala. My issue is not with the strength of any particular loop, I have found plenty of strong loop knots. My issue is with tying a loop for the first jig or hook and then tying another on down the line. When a loop is fished this way you loose all of your strength at the first loop knot if you get a fish or get hung up on the bottom jig.

If I am only fishing one jig or lure, I have no issues with the strength of loop knots, it is only the strength of the first loop knot when tied in a two jig setup. Actually it does not even have to be a loop knot for the first jig, ANY knot I have tied for the first jig fails at well below the rated line strength if you put a strain on the tag end of the line (second Jig).

I test all of my knots in the garage before tying them on the water and I have yet to find anything that will hold up when tied in the middle of the line. The wife says I am anal most of the time so maybe this is one of those times.:rolleyes: LOL!! :o

Thanks for all of your replies!
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I missed that in your original post. Sorry.

I don't normally use two jigs but, if I did, I'd try it this way:

Tie on the first jig with the loop knot of your choice. Then, ABOVE that jig, I would tie a 12-15" piece of line to the main line with a surgeon's KNOT (not a surgeon's LOOP). Then, I would tie the second jig to that short piece of line with the loop knot of your choice.