Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fed Up with Reels

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Fed Up with Reels

I have had it, I have tried the zebco underhand 33, the line hangs up in the spool after 3-4 hours of fishing and I have to respool...gets a bit expensive having to buy line...
    I also have tried 2 diawa usx 80 underhand reels this spring and both reels have had the anti reverse quit working in them.. Not a problem while casting, but when I boat a slab, it lets out line when I pick up the fish......
    What is your favorite crappie/bream reel...any help on this subject will be appreciated;......

Post Thanks / Like

Small Mitchell Spinning reel for me I have several and love them...Mike

Post Thanks / Like

shimano axuls :D

Post Thanks / Like

Snap shots are great for spinning, I also just bought a Mitchell Avocet for my youngest son. I really like it, it is smooth and seems to be pretty well make. These are ultra lights and they suit my style of fishing. I use 4 pound test line and a graphite rod about 5 foot long. I have a friend that uses a zebco 33 spooled with 12 pound test, he uses a 5'6" ugly stick. To each his own!

THE BANDIT
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Post Thanks / Like

Just bought the mitchell avocet 2000(?) series a little larger but it seems to be a great reel for the price. I gave up on ultralight reels because of the reliability problems that seem to plauge them all. Also line flows better off the larger spool.
    Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to go wrong with any of the Shimano spinning reels,the money is the limit

Post Thanks / Like

I used to fish with the shimano reels but have been using the quantum PTi10 Kenetic reels. Unbelievable reels. BPS has them on clearance for $49.88. I have 4 and would like to get a couple more. Also, quantum has the SS1 ul spinning reels for about $20 at Wally world if yo don't want to spend to much.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiencali
    I used to fish with the shimano reels but have been using the quantum PTi10 Kinetic reels. Unbelievable reels. BPS has them on clearance for $49.88. I have 4 and would like to get a couple more. Also, quantum has the SS1 ul spinning reels for about $20 at Wally world if yo don't want to spend to much.
    I completely agree. Learn to use a spinning reel and up the quality that your buying and you'll have a lot less trouble. The Kinetic is a specatular reel for that price. I have one I got for $40 at half price. 50 bucks is a great deal for that reel. Quantums have the magnetic bail trip that is the best bail mechanism I've ever used and the bail is titanium, so it can never be bent out of shape. Great reel at a great price.

One suggestion though. Larger reel spools cast further and twist the line less, so if you can deal with a reel larger than the 10 size I'd recommend getting a 20 or even a 30 if your using longer poles. My kinetic I have on a 7ft st.croix premier medium light rod is actually a 40 because I do a lot of long distance casting for smallies and steelhead in lake erie and you wouldn't believe how far I can cast that combo. Even with the 40 that rig is very well balanced. I can use the same rig using 6 lb test for crappies very nicely along with my ultralites, and when the slabs are hitting I'll leave the ultralite for that rig.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 03-30-2006 at 11:33 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Stay away from Pflueger Reels. I have one and the line is always twisting and knotting up. I have tried four diffrent lines.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I like the shimano for my casting rods. I use the stratus. I would like to buy a couple of less expensive rods for my 10 ft poles that I use for jigging. I may try the quantum spincast that Dave suggested at Wally World. The stratus has rear drag and anti-twist and a larger spool than the so called ultra-lights but that helps prevent line twist. I use Bass Pro Crappie line 6lb. and works very well and is an inexpensive line to buy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast