PDA

View Full Version : Fed Up with Reels

BlackWidow
03-30-2006, 09:55 PM
:mad: I have had it, I have tried the zebco underhand 33, the line hangs up in the spool after 3-4 hours of fishing and I have to respool...gets a bit expensive having to buy line...
I also have tried 2 diawa usx 80 underhand reels this spring and both reels have had the anti reverse quit working in them.. Not a problem while casting, but when I boat a slab, it lets out line when I pick up the fish......
What is your favorite crappie/bream reel...any help on this subject will be appreciated;......:mad:

mike732
03-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Small Mitchell Spinning reel for me I have several and love them...Mike

BarryG
03-30-2006, 10:50 PM
shimano axuls :D

EDDY CREEK BANDIT
03-30-2006, 10:51 PM
:cool: Snap shots are great for spinning, I also just bought a Mitchell Avocet for my youngest son. I really like it, it is smooth and seems to be pretty well make. These are ultra lights and they suit my style of fishing. I use 4 pound test line and a graphite rod about 5 foot long. I have a friend that uses a zebco 33 spooled with 12 pound test, he uses a 5'6" ugly stick. To each his own!

THE BANDIT:cool:

Rod
03-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Just bought the mitchell avocet 2000(?) series a little larger but it seems to be a great reel for the price. I gave up on ultralight reels because of the reliability problems that seem to plauge them all. Also line flows better off the larger spool.
Rod

cook
03-30-2006, 11:00 PM
Hard to go wrong with any of the Shimano spinning reels,the money is the limit

crappiencali
03-30-2006, 11:06 PM
I used to fish with the shimano reels but have been using the quantum PTi10 Kenetic reels. Unbelievable reels. BPS has them on clearance for $49.88. I have 4 and would like to get a couple more. Also, quantum has the SS1 ul spinning reels for about $20 at Wally world if yo don't want to spend to much.

GRIZZ
03-30-2006, 11:25 PM
I used to fish with the shimano reels but have been using the quantum PTi10 Kinetic reels. Unbelievable reels. BPS has them on clearance for $49.88. I have 4 and would like to get a couple more. Also, quantum has the SS1 ul spinning reels for about $20 at Wally world if yo don't want to spend to much.

I completely agree. Learn to use a spinning reel and up the quality that your buying and you'll have a lot less trouble. The Kinetic is a specatular reel for that price. I have one I got for $40 at half price. 50 bucks is a great deal for that reel. Quantums have the magnetic bail trip that is the best bail mechanism I've ever used and the bail is titanium, so it can never be bent out of shape. Great reel at a great price.

One suggestion though. Larger reel spools cast further and twist the line less, so if you can deal with a reel larger than the 10 size I'd recommend getting a 20 or even a 30 if your using longer poles. My kinetic I have on a 7ft st.croix premier medium light rod is actually a 40 because I do a lot of long distance casting for smallies and steelhead in lake erie and you wouldn't believe how far I can cast that combo. Even with the 40 that rig is very well balanced. I can use the same rig using 6 lb test for crappies very nicely along with my ultralites, and when the slabs are hitting I'll leave the ultralite for that rig.

wrwest
03-30-2006, 11:25 PM
Stay away from Pflueger Reels. I have one and the line is always twisting and knotting up. I have tried four diffrent lines.

gone_fishing
03-31-2006, 04:41 AM
I like the shimano for my casting rods. I use the stratus. I would like to buy a couple of less expensive rods for my 10 ft poles that I use for jigging. I may try the quantum spincast that Dave suggested at Wally World. The stratus has rear drag and anti-twist and a larger spool than the so called ultra-lights but that helps prevent line twist. I use Bass Pro Crappie line 6lb. and works very well and is an inexpensive line to buy.

Castoff
03-31-2006, 05:10 AM
Use the Shimano Symetre for casting or drop fishing, but now only the Mitchell 300 for trolling, since it has a loud clicker for drag (the Shimano is almost silent and worthless for trolling). Have a few Mitchell 308s that are my all time favorites and would like to find a few more for drop lines only. The two reels' bails rotate the opposite way so make sure you load it with new line in the correct direction, or...well you know the rest!

driller
03-31-2006, 05:14 AM
I have an Alcedo Micron ultra lite that is fabulous. Works almost as well as a cane pole.:D

crappiequeennc
03-31-2006, 05:34 AM
Small Mitchell spinning reel for me.Thats all I have ever used...And I love them.

Sandman
03-31-2006, 06:07 AM
Black Widow, I have 3 $19.00 spinning reels from Bass Pro Shop that have-so far- been really good reels. I only use them for crappie fishing. I use Abu Garcia and Shimano reels for bass. Of course, I'm kind of a bargain hunter. Another thing, an employee at BPS told me that there were only three companies that manufacture reels. Shimano and Abu Garcia make their own reels and ALL others are made by one other company to the specifications of the particular client such as Zebco, Pflueger, Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, etc, etc. I don't know if that is true or not but that is what the person said.

Roberta
03-31-2006, 06:58 AM
I see that a couple of use use the Mitchell Avocets. We got Avocets for our second ULs and have had fits with them when usuing UL lures. NO problem if they have a load, but if we're casting light jigs a number of times and retrieving without a hit, the line tends to wind very loosely, and eventually falls off the spool in one big chunk. Under load, it winds tight. We have tinkered with just about everything we can think of and still have problems. Now I just use mine for bobber fishing where I'm just pitching it out a few feet.

Although the drag and a slow rewind is not as smooth as I would like, I've had about the fewest problems with my Wally Marshall. Before that, I wore out the line roller on my UL Shimano.

On the bigger stuff, Doug wouldn't give up his Shimano for love nor money and I feel the same about my Mitchell 300X. - Roberta

deathb4disco
03-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Shimano's Symetre is an excellent reel. They're very smooth, and the line lay is perfect. I have a couple of the older models, still going strong after almost 10 years.

My dad loves his new Daiwa SS 700's. This model's been around for years and for good reason. They're light, trouble-free, and have excellent line lay.

I hear great things about the Quantums, but have not tried them yet. They are a little heavier than Daiwa and Shimano.

SteveJ
03-31-2006, 06:08 PM
Has anyone used the NEW Cardinal 3's? Was my favorite except for the clicker. Just wondering if the new ones live up to the hype.

Mopar Matt
03-31-2006, 06:08 PM
I use Shimano Spirex on my casting rods and Quantum hypercast on my jig and bobber rods.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Jar133/Fishing/hyp.jpg
Quantum Hypercast

belizaire
03-31-2006, 06:46 PM
keep a can of reel magic in your boat spray it in your reels when they start to hang up that should solve your problem.

BlackWidow
03-31-2006, 07:31 PM
well the tribe has spoken and it looks like an overwelming majority of ya'll use spinning reels...... I havent used them in years, so I went to wally world and got a new lightning rod 6' light action and a mitchell 2000 reel.... havent fished it yet but good lord willing I will try em out in the morning....... Im gona take my 6 year old son and try to get on em...:eek:

gonna order that hypercast Mopar Matt I really like that trigger...

Mopar Matt
04-01-2006, 08:37 AM
gonna order that hypercast Mopar Matt I really like that trigger...

I think you will be pleased with them. They work a lot like a snapshot, pull the trigger to open the bail then release the trigger to move the firing pin and cast. These reels have continuous anti reverse and can be cast in any bail position.

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
04-01-2006, 09:47 AM
I have Shimano reels that are 25 years old. They still work like Brand new. The new Simano reels are pricey but well worth it in my opinion. It could be the last reel you own in your life. They are that good. I just bought a Shimano Stradic and it's the smoothest reel I have ever fished with. Browning Citori makes a awesome one as well. Good luck.

izzysfishin
04-01-2006, 08:10 PM
3 tips for spinning reels. Never overfill the spool. Never put heavier line on than whats recommended for the reel. And allways close the bail by hand. Follow them 3 and you'll very seldom have any problems...izzy

crappieken
04-01-2006, 08:48 PM
I have two Mitchell Avocet 2000 reels and one Avocet 500 UL. I have used them hard this past year and have not had a bit of trouble. I am still using Garcia Mitchell 300 and 301 reels, circa the late 50's and they are still giving good service. I have had to replace bail springs several times with that being the only repair.

dixieangler
04-02-2006, 08:06 AM
I have a 5 foot Pro Advantage graphite RX-15-ULS Ultralite Action Lure Wt. 1/32-1/8 OZ. Line Wt. 4-8 LB. rod paired with a Diawa UL7 Ultralight spinning reel loaded with Berkley 6lb. test mono. I like this outfit and have used it for many years now. Sometimes I like to use a longer rod and have a Browning graphite 7.5 foot fly rod paired with a Diawa A80 spincast reel also loaded with Berkley 6lb. test (great sensitivity).