Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My favorite technique for bream!

Post Thanks / Like

Default My favorite technique for bream!

I ment to post this here:

FREELINING: WHAT IT IS

Basic Principle:
    I've been fortunate enough to fish saltwater EVERYDAY :D and I'm not the average fisherman. I almost exclusively "freeline" baits for mackerel, tuna, and shark. "Freelining" is put out a live bait with no weight or float of anysort. It allows for a very natural presentation, because the bait isnt struggling to swim down away from the bobber. Because of that, one little minnow can last for hours. Because there is no weight, the bobber isn't pulling the hook out of the suction of an opening mouth. Go on Youtube and search "feeding tarpon" you will see how when it opens up its mouth, it makes a vacuum to suck in a bait. Its the same principle with any bream or crappie. By the way, this is the ONLY way I fish crappie or bream.

Tackle:
    Now that I have covered the basic principle of freelining, let me cover the tackle. The tackle is the most important part. I use a Shimano Sahara 500, on a BPS Microlite Glass rod. I have the reel spooled with 2#. The light line makes it easier to let the bait swim naturally through the water. It also makes it easier to keep track of the bait. The size hook I use a size 8 mustad longshank hook. I hook the bait through the lips and let 'er go!

Bait Care:

Here in South Florida, it's not uncommon to pay $100 for a dozen of these baits called "goggle eyes." Because of this, we keep the baits alive for up to 2 weeks! I have carried this over to using live minnows. First of all, it helps not to load up a gallon bucket with 4 dozen minnows. I take a 1'x1.5'x2' tote filled with water and 4 "bubble box" aerators and load it up with up to 6 dozen minnows. I do have a few tricks though. I try to handle the baits as least as possible. I also try to scoop up one at a time in a net. At night when I'm not using the "bait cage" as I call it, I put a bunch of ice cubes in the tote, to chill the water, and make the bait lethargic.

Presentation:

I don't troll when I'm freelining. I will troll around, with jigs, and traditional crappie tackle, when I find I'm in a school of fish, I make a mental note where I am and what depth it was. I will come back, or just stop at that spot. I have my ultralight spinner, rigged with a size 8 hook, and 2lb. I scoop one minnow out of "the cage" and put him on there as quick as possible. I will QUICKLY hold my rod up high and let out 6ft. of line, if the fish are marking at 6ft. I keep the bail open and hold the line with my finger. I watch the line curled up on top of the water, when it starts flying through the water close the bail and REEL!

This is just my favorite way to pursue 'ol papermouth. Give it a try! You get better at it with time.

-Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

interesting info..........thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

What is a googgle eye?

Post Thanks / Like

a goggle eye is really a warmouth bass

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

west ky sez hay ya'll
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

A goggle eye is a type of Jack that we use in saltwater for sailfish and kings. Name:  goggle eye.jpg
Views: 1637
Size:  115.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Used the same procedure fishing for yellow fin tuna but called "flylining" when fishing on the long range boats out of San Diego down into Mexican waters.
    When the bait gets excited? Something is about to eat it... Get ready!!!!
    Lots of fun!!!
    Enjoy life now - It has an expiration date!

Post Thanks / Like

Its also known as shiner fishing without the bobber. Use braid that floats and 6ft of flouro that naturally sinks. But ive only done it for bass.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I have done this for years for bream fishing and it really works well at certain times and in certain places. However it has not been as good for me with crappie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast