Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Big Indiana Slab Masters Classic news!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Indiana Slab Masters Classic news!

We are still finalizing all this years classic information, but I want to let you all in on what is going on so far with the Indiana Slab Masters Classic at Mississinewa and Salamonie this September. Russ Bailey from MidWest Crappie TV Show and Guide Service is going to be our Celebrity Weighmaster during the classic. We have secured the use of Bozarth's facility for our early check-in prior to the tournament and both days weigh-in. They have a stage to do our weigh-in both days, and Bozarths also has a dry erase standing board to post all the weights so everyone can keep track of what is going on.

We currently have 31 teams that have qualified for the classic, with the possiblity of having several more teams qualifying in the last two tournaments of the year. We now have a Host Hotel for the Classic too. The Wabash Inn in Wabash, IN is holding a block of 15 rooms for our club through August 25th, so if your going to be there, be sure to make your reservations soon at the Wabash Inn Wabash Inn

We are also working on getting some sports writers to show up and cover our classic this year. Our plan is to award all the awards from the classic on a soon to be announced date of when the plans are set (Tentative date October 8th). On this date we will be having the year-end banquet. We have a very nice place to have this, and as soon as it is locked in, along with the date, we will be announcing the rest of the information.

I hope each of your have had a lot of fun this year. Why don't you post on here and tell us what you think, or what was your favorite moment of this years Indiana Slab Masters competitions so far? I love hearing feedback from each of you that are members, and I even like hearing from the ones that are either on the fence of joining the club, or can't/won't join and the reasons behind it. I think there have been many that joined out of curiousity, and end up fishing many of the events because they see not only how much fun it is, but they are learning a lot!

Good Fishin'

Post Thanks / Like

Well I must say since October of last year when we talked for hours on end trying to put this whole thing together I can honestly say this year has been better then ever expected.
    I have made so many new friends that share the same passion for fishing as I do. I can't pick one time that I haven't enjoyed.
    Even though it has been ALOT of WORK it has all been worth it. At the end of the day when someone says thank you for starting the club because they are having a great time and have learned something new. Well to me that is why I do it.
    I'm really looking forward to all the good stuff we have going for the classic abd at the same time I can't wait to fish the remaining two tournaments.

I certainly hope we have all 31 teams or more show up for what is going to be a GREAT classic event.
    For never ever running a club before I must say I feel we done one heck of a job so far. I don't think we could have done any better since it is our first year.
    I'm always working on bigger and better things so now that I have a little experience and we have one season under our belt LOOK OUT 2012!

I want to thank all the advisory board as they have worked hard on getting sponsors as well.
    I don't think we could of got a better group of guys to help us out Jim.

I look forward to hearing from other folks as well so please post the good and bad. If its broke and we don't know it then we can't fix it so please let us know.

Thanks
    Tom Hankins
    Tom Hankins
    Lake Fork Trophy Lures
    Whisker Seeker Tackle
    Moss Back Fish Rack
    Cumberland Crappie
    G3 Boats

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I know I've already expressed some of my thoughts, but again, it has been a great rookie season for the club! I sit here right now wishing there was a tournament this weekend, as well as last weekend! The season still has a quarter to go, but it has definately left me wanting more. That being said, I don't know that we need to add another 3 or 4 events. I think the main goal of the club should be to keep the numbers in that 30-40 team range. Most lakes, that amount of teams will still have plenty of room to roam. I know this is only from my standpoint, but I would shy away from a season that went later than maybe one weekend in October. I had to suffer through the loss of turkey season, so there's no way I would care to get into the fall hunting seasons, anymore than it does. I'm sure there's others that may share those feelings.

Jim made mention of taking a summer event and splitting it night/day. I would even be up for experimenting with a night tournament. When looking at the purpose of the club, it would certainly be teaching a way of fishing to members that have never even thought that about fishing that style.

After the Tanner's Creek (Ohio River) suggestion, I started looking for places more centrally located. I'm not familiar with the Wabash up that way, but the White does offer some great fishing with some huge fish, especially down river, where it gets pretty big. Ramp access may prove more of problem, though. I wouldn't have a problem with the Ohio, but I also live an hour south of Indy.

I think the schedule was put together very well, other than Raccoon. But, it's a learning experience, for sure. Going extreme north or south is going to limit one team, but may gain another. As long as you still allow a couple/few events that would be freebies in the points race, than I don't think it would hurt recruitment.

Hurry up and get this banquet planned so we know when we're kicking off the 2012 season!!! Thumbs Up
    Last edited by filletfetish; 08-01-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I may have mentioned a possibility of a night/day tournament, but after meeting with the advisory board, and the other officers, I can definitely tell you that we will only be having day tournaments that are close to the hours the rules call for. The rules do allow for us to alter the Classic hours, and in the extreme cases alter them during a normal tournament. We may shorten tournament hours on an extreme day like we had at Raccoon, but probably wont alter things much.

The idea is to have consistency. I think that will be what is important for the longevity of the club. thank you for the suggestions. are you talking about the white river that you cross over on St Rd 37 near bedford? There really isn't any facilities to handle our club, but I have ofter wondered how the crappie fishing was in that stretch of the river. The Ohio River sounds cool, but I'm not sure what kind of following we would have there. If we have enough club members request it, I can take it to the Advisory Board, and the other Officers to see what they think.

Thank you for your participation in the club this year. Your participation has contributed to the success of the club!

Keep the suggestions coming Members!

Hope to see you all at Cataract a week from Saturday!