Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trailer Tires

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer Tires

About 2 years back i bought new tires from Walmart, i do fish allot and i noticed this year i been driving on some bald tires.

How long do most of you get on boat trailer tires, are they a softer tire then a car tire so thats why i need to replace them again ?

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

your axel could be out of alignment or the tires are to small . did that with a pontoon boat pulling it 55 miles 1 way to the lake . after the 2nd set i put on a larger and wider tire . my smaller bass boat with a 55 hp on it i use car tires . 1 blow out in the last 10 years it was old and should have replaced it befor a 250 mile round trip replaced it with a used one nd still running it . makes a much softer ride withcar tires and much wider .alwayes check the date on used radiels . they have a 5 to 8 year life for car use . would use the same dates with a larger boat and long trips .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I get 3 years max out of my trailer tires.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

IF you can get away with it use the car radials. Just forget that Wal-Mart sells tires, a friends father worked at Goodyear and the same tire with different specs for Wal-Mart and Sam's. Find a local guy and keep that money home as long as possible. Remember, it's harder to 'pass it on' when you live in the same town. I'd rather go to the dentist than Wal-Mart anymore!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Tires are "date stamped". Old tires will wear faster.

Post Thanks / Like

The tire mfg build tires for a lot of people, Walmart and others go to Goodyear etc and say we want a tire built to these specs for X number of dollars and in a lot of cases they own the mould that the tire is built in. I spent 32 yrs in the tire business and sales people love to say this tire is made by Goodyear, Bridgestone etc but they fail to tell you it wasn't to their specs.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ready2fish View Post
    About 2 years back i bought new tires from Walmart, i do fish allot and i noticed this year i been driving on some bald tires.

How long do most of you get on boat trailer tires, are they a softer tire then a car tire so thats why i need to replace them again ?
    Walmart- is your problem, they are lower cost for a reason.
    Trailer tires are harder and designed for use under a trailer. NEVER use car tires on your trailer, they are not designed to handle the stresses a trailer puts them through. The suspension on a trailer is no where near as soft as the suspension under a car, or truck. The sidewall of the tire carries all teh weight, in car/truck tires the sidewall is softer to help absorb road pumps. Trailer tires have stiffer sdiewalls for a reason.

REad the Trailer Tire facts sheet someone else posted, its full of great information.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I ran a Carolina Skiff since '97 and replaced the tires 2 years ago. Best tires I ever owned....thousands of miles from them. Just bought a '94 ranger and had to replace the original tires after pulling it home from NJ (blowed one going to the lake one morning). Dont know how many miles they got except for the 800 or so that I put on 'em. Those were 14" Goodyear tires so that's what went back on the trailer.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

First stay away from the discount stores, and use trailer tires, they won't be cheep,but they will be worth the money,,,when yur
    not on the side of the road,
    good luck
    Darrell Keil
    Wheeler Lake
    Shoalscrappie.com