Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the diffference between just catching crappie and catching big crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default the diffference between just catching crappie and catching big crappie

what are ya'lls thoughts on getting the largest out of the lake, is it just pure location or is it bait size or what?
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 07-30-2011 at 08:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

just a thought for you gobbler this is a good post and all but most guys will tell alot about fishing but will not tell all and everybody has there big crappie techniques and alot of them they just dont care to share or i dont anyway if you know what i mean
    Just Yakin along

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

being in the right place at the right time at the right depth with the right bait.....lot of luck is involved
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I dont really think the technique has a much to do with it, as the body of water your fishing.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gobbler View Post
    what are ya'lls thoughts on getting the largest out of the lake, is it just pure location or is it bait size or what?
    Pure Luck (for some of us) Doh Rofl

Beyond that ... being at the right place, at the right time, using the right technique, with the right bait, at the right depth & speed. If this is due to having studied the fish, its habits & habitat, its natural/native foodsource, & condition preferrences ... then putting all that information into a plan that places your bait in the strike zone of that fish ... you're probably "catching" fish, and not just "fishing". Hands Clapping

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

crappie tend to school by size, little fish hang out in large numbers, safety factor, larger fish in small schools, not as much pressure on getting eaten, the really large fish stay by there self, not much going to mess with a 3lb crappie, they dont like to have to hunt hard for food,so they lay in wait to ambush, I have found that they will pick a solatry twig out by its self, kinda away from everything, or find an anommally close to large structure/cover, seems like the bigger fish like to see both side of the hide out, see small fish got lots of energy and love to chase food, big ole fish well they like to conserve ther energy and just suck it in so to speak, so look for that out of the way twig you would not think a fish would ever be close to and work it slow, hot or cold it works.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    crappie tend to school by size, little fish hang out in large numbers, safety factor, larger fish in small schools, not as much pressure on getting eaten, the really large fish stay by there self, not much going to mess with a 3lb crappie, they dont like to have to hunt hard for food,so they lay in wait to ambush, I have found that they will pick a solatry twig out by its self, kinda away from everything, or find an anommally close to large structure/cover, seems like the bigger fish like to see both side of the hide out, see small fish got lots of energy and love to chase food, big ole fish well they like to conserve ther energy and just suck it in so to speak, so look for that out of the way twig you would not think a fish would ever be close to and work it slow, hot or cold it works.
    Good post Michael.....Thumbs Up
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think finding the biggest fish in the lake is luck. Capps & Coleman have proved this time and time again. They look for certain breaks and structure that hold big fish, and they look for the same find of cover on the structure where ever they go. What that is I don't know, but they know how to pattern BIG fish. They know how to find them on any lake.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRiverMarine View Post
    I don't think finding the biggest fish in the lake is luck. Capps & Coleman have proved this time and time again. They look for certain breaks and structure that hold big fish, and they look for the same find of cover on the structure where ever they go. What that is I don't know, but they know how to pattern BIG fish. They know how to find them on any lake.
    I agree! Sometimes it's luck. In the spring, a guy out on his first crappie trip may catch the biggest crappie of the year. I think it was 2 years ago, a lady set a new state record for crappie on her first trip.

One thing to keep in mind is the big ones didn't get big by feeding like the 3/4-1 lb. crappie. I've got a buddy who fishes crappie tournaments who told me they were getting ready to fish a tournament this year and the lake was covered up. At first he was discouraged until he started watching how most people were fishing. He catches them consistently no matter where he goes. There are a few people out there who have the skills to catch them almost every time out and also know what adjustments to make when they aren't biting.

Instead they hit some of the same brushpiles everyone else had already fished and still did really well. What you fish is important but equally important is how you fish it. The nice thing is you never stop learning. Also keep an open mind and try new things.

My two biggest crappie this year were a 2 lb. 10oz. that I caught fishing a stakebed in extremely windy and raw conditions. Almost no one else was out there crappie fishing.

A couple of weeks later, I caught a 2 lb. 12 oz. by casting across a brushpile and making sure to keep my bait a few feet above the brush. Both of them had me wondering if I hadn't hung a dadgum drum. It sure tightened me up when I could see they were nice crappie. I know guys in Miss. are catching monsters but these were some of the best I've ever caught in Kentucky.

Post Thanks / Like

Location,location,location. Being able to find some spots on the water that no one else is fishing is a key in my opinion.
    Bobby Garland Pro Staff Bass Pro Shop Pro Staff
    Hi-Tek Pro Staff
    Denali Rods Pro Staff Road Runner Pro Staff
    K2 Coolers Pro Staff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast