PDA

View Full Version : What's better prespawn,spawn, or post

mighty
03-30-2006, 12:11 PM
This is my first crappie spawn. I caught the post spawn last year. Thats what got me hooked. I am wondering which is the best one to fish. I have that during the actual spawn fish dont bite much. This fish out here are about to burst, just a little advice/ opinion needed.

Thanx yall

speck chaser
03-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Since I An A Troller I Like The Pre Spawn Better.

Mopar Matt
03-30-2006, 12:49 PM
It depends on how you like to fish. Trollers like the pre-spawn since fish are grouped together in deeper water. Casters love the spawn, fish are shallow on beds and structure. I am a caster and I particularly like to fish docks and stump flats. Post spawn can be the hardest time to catch fish. What you thought was the post spawn was actually the tail end of the spawn. After the spawn the fish scatter mostly to deeper water during the height of summer temps and become sluggish (just as in winter only the other extreme). You have to keep in mind that the spawn isn't an on/off time period. It will last for 3-5 weeks and will peak at different times on different bodies of water.

Bruce Carp
03-30-2006, 04:06 PM
post spawn, waters and fish are more predictable and less apt to have flooding and or bad weather. But then i like the other two also!

jfraley
03-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Any time I can wet a line!

wrwest
03-30-2006, 08:41 PM
All of the above. Just get out and go fishin......

Blue Duck
03-30-2006, 09:13 PM
I fish each one a little different, but I like them all.

GRIZZ
03-30-2006, 11:38 PM
All of the above. Just get out and go fishin......

What he said!!!

DENNIS BOWERS
03-31-2006, 06:24 AM
I fish each one a little different, but I like them all.
That makes two of us!! Each one Takes different presentations-If I could only fish one I guess it would be Pre Spawn.

Wiskers
03-31-2006, 06:41 AM
I catch more & better fish in the pre-spawn. I'm like Dennis, if I had to pick just 1 faze it would be the pre-spawn. The fish are not as scattered, there is less compitition (boat traffic). they are easier to locate, and if you find'um you got'um!

CrappiePappy
03-31-2006, 06:50 AM
I'd go after 'em .... 24/7 365 :D

But, being as that isn't currently possible, I go when work & weather allow. :(

Pre-spawn, they're still schooled up ... but can be on the move. Spawn, they're shallow & in predictable places ... but can be interrupted by weather/water changes. Post-spawn, they're schooling back together and heading out towards deeper water ... but, they're hungry again, and headed to the predictable Summer haunts. In some ways, all three periods are equal in potential. Though, I will give the Spawn period a slight edge, overall, since they are more easily patterned when shallow and around shoreline cover. That eliminates a lot of water !! And, they can be more time consuming to find, when they are on the move to or from the bedding areas.
A lot of choices of "when" people like to fish for them, is determined by "how" people like to fish for them. However/whenever you like to fish for them ........ luck2ya ...... cp :cool:

btillman
03-31-2006, 07:34 AM
I like all of them and I troll and handpole but if I had to choose one it would be pre spawn.

fishmanpl
04-01-2006, 02:16 PM
I really like the pre-spawn since it's the best time for big ones. Let's face it, catching a mess to eat isn't too hard. Catching those big ones is a little more exciting to me.

Spawn would be next since the action can really be fast and furious at times.

When mentioning post spawn, I'm assuming that you mean right after the spawn. I don't like it the first week or two after the spawn, but after that I really like it as they pull back to deeper water and bunch up for the summer. They're easiest to pattern then, at least for me. I'm a deep water fisherman anyhow.

FalconSmitty
04-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Since I am fishing the spawn here on my home lake I'll say Spawn.:D It has been a great week of fishing here. Just to see how shallow they would bite I put a jig 4 inches below a small cork and still tore them up. Caught the biggest that day at that depth.
But I have plenty of Boo condos in deep water so I can locate them easier during the rest of the year.