Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Does Gamakatzu make a #4 heavy or light wire hook?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does Gamakatzu make a #4 heavy or light wire hook?

Does Gamakatzu make a #4 or #6 heavy or light wire hook? If so, where can you find them?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but watch out! Their heavy wire is heavy, ocean grade stuff, I don't think Do-It makes a mold that'll hold it. The G110, G111, G114 all are excellent hooks, as are the 600, 603, 604's with the 600 series being the heaviest I've poured. I've used the 604's in my Ultra Minnow Mold, those babies are awesome. You won't find a better hook or sharper one. I've taken the 604's on a 1/4 oz head and held it about 6" above my thumbnail and dropped it, it will go through your nail and they don't bend. When ordering go one size larger than a 570 ex: 570-1/0 is a 2/0 Gammy. Barlows has them, get their catalog it also lists wire diameter. Capt Hooks, Lurecraft have them also. I think Barlows is the cheapest. It takes a 2nd mortgage to load a mold, they're very expensive, I'll bet you don't order a 1000 box. I think the smallest I've seen is #2 which is a #4-570 or close. They are all somewhat heavy wire compared to the 570, they make up with the sharpest points I've ever used, and they flat stay sharp. Did I mention they are sharp?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Does Gamakatzu make a #4 or #6 heavy or light wire hook? If so, where can you find them?
    Jig hook or bait hook?

I have been using #6 and #4 Owner "mosquito" hooks for bait fishing. They're pretty light wire, and I like 'em a lot. If you're bait fishing, I highly recommend them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiedoc View Post
    Yes, but watch out! Their heavy wire is heavy, ocean grade stuff, I don't think Do-It makes a mold that'll hold it. The G110, G111, G114 all are excellent hooks, as are the 600, 603, 604's with the 600 series being the heaviest I've poured. I've used the 604's in my Ultra Minnow Mold, those babies are awesome. You won't find a better hook or sharper one. I've taken the 604's on a 1/4 oz head and held it about 6" above my thumbnail and dropped it, it will go through your nail and they don't bend. When ordering go one size larger than a 570 ex: 570-1/0 is a 2/0 Gammy. Barlows has them, get their catalog it also lists wire diameter. Capt Hooks, Lurecraft have them also. I think Barlows is the cheapest. It takes a 2nd mortgage to load a mold, they're very expensive, I'll bet you don't order a 1000 box. I think the smallest I've seen is #2 which is a #4-570 or close. They are all somewhat heavy wire compared to the 570, they make up with the sharpest points I've ever used, and they flat stay sharp. Did I mention they are sharp?
    Gamakatsu is the only hook I will use. Mostly 2/0 They are the Sharpest hook I have ever seen. Even sharper than most sickle hooks I have seen and a lot stronger. Worth every penny to me, or should I say dollar.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

If your wanting a decently priced heavy hook check with mustad there 32833's are excellent. I pour alot of salmon and steelhead jigheads for people. As for light wire, check with lightwirehooker on here...

Post Thanks / Like

Also check with VMC hooks

Post Thanks / Like

I know Gammi's are good hooks but I just can't see spending that much for a hook to use on a crappie jig which is most likely gonna get hung up and maybe not get it back.

Bass, pike, Musky salmon >>>>> yeah then maybe but too rich for my blood.

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lucky-E Strike must have a deal with Gammi. To buy the plain hooks for jigs is completely out of the equation for me, but you can buy the Lucky-E Strike jigs from chinamart very reasonably. Go Figure. They are the sharpest hooks around with the Matzuo sickles a very close second.

Post Thanks / Like

I use them strictly for jig fishing. You're right, they are very expensive compared to the light wire hooks which I primarily use. I agree you can straighten out light wire hooks and get your bait back. However, there are days after I've lost a couple of fish or know there are some real nice crappie in a stakebed or brushpile and I'll tie one on.

I use a plug knocker to retrieve a lot of jigs but know I'm still going to lose a few no matter what I do. When I have a big one on, the Gamakatzu gives me confidence it has the strength to hold. And yes, they are very, very sharp right out of the box. Once they get a little dull, they can be touched up with a rectangular file to their original sharpness.

The reason I asked about #4's is because I thought I might start tightlining with them this year. Haven't been able to get them yet. Thanks crappiedoc, I'll check w/Barlows and give a few a try.