Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappiefarmer and I got together Sat. Report.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappiefarmer and I got together Sat. Report.

Ky lake has risen 3 feet, and dropped 2 + feet this past week. The lake is stained (Big sandy, West Sandy). Sat, the wind was up, gusting to 20 mph. Now what you would call "ideal" conditions. Farmer and I covered a lot of water. We did not get skunked, but we sure did not get a wallhanger. We covered a lot of water. Shallows, flats, deep, drops, brushpiles. You name it, we tried it. What we found in all locations were the fish were stacking, both vertical and horizontal. They are getting ready to do something. Who knows what. We both got wind burned, well I did. We had a real good time. I will let Crappiefarmer fill in the details. By the way, the next time any of you guys see Crappiefarmer, dont stare at him too much. He lost his ears. I talked them off.

One more thing. I caught a crappie that was smaller than the jig I caught him on. Honest. I have a witness. Well maybe almost as small as the jig.

Cane Pole
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lol

Today I caught ten White Crappie with the smallest about 6 inches long. The longest was 9.5" long. I fished in a quiet bay out of the North West Winds. ie I fished on the North West End of the lake in 6 ft of water. I found the crappie were milling around in this shallow water at the edge of the submergent weed bed. the weed were growing in 3ft to 4ft of water and stopped in the 6 ft depth. Water level in this pit is up about a foot or two. The waters surface was calm for about 100ft out from the shoreline then the winds effect caused the surface to ripple. The wind was gusting at 17mph at times and it got up to almost 70 deg F today. Nice clea skies and the water was stained. I saw a guy fishing near this area from the bank and he had caught a few nice White Crappie about three days ago. I was out driving around that day as it was way to windy to fish these lakes using only an electric motor that day. I saw him catch a few nice 10" fish and thought I might try that spot if I even fished LOON pit. Never fished LOON pit from the boat as I don't like the boat ramp there. Too shallow and the sides are poured concrete with big rip rap embedded in the concrete on either side of the narrow launch ramp. There is not boat dock and one has to either pull the boat up onto the concrete boat ramp or pull up into a bunch of catails that blaket the shoreline. Only place to pull the boat up in reality is onto the boat ramp. And that leave little room to put the trailer next to the boat on the narrow concrete boat ramp. And the handicaped boat access station is too far up from the ramp for my short rope to reach. All the other handicap access ramps that have hand rails to tie the rope to are closer to the ramp and I can tie the boat's 25 ft rope up to the railings while I go park the truck. Only the North launch ramp at loon pit has the handicap ramp at least 75 ft away from the ramp. Not sure who built that thing but they didn't follow the specs I bet.

But the fishing was hot today from 3:00 pm to about 3:20PM. Then it cooled off and they stopped bitting. HOT jig color today as well as yesterday was the Black Body and Chartruse Octipus Tails. I added a Chartruse Berkeley Crappie nibbles as well. I fished the Frank Ison setup which was featured in the Crappie World magazine last last year. It uses the small foam 1" long slip floats from Bets that are sold at Wal-mart. They come with about 5 in a small package. They are white and red in color and very light weight and have a red plastic peg in the top. I take the peg out and use the float as a slip float with a 1/16oz plain lead head jig on the Wal_mart Plastic Jig body. I add a thrill type bobber stop whch is basically a chartruse colored bead thread that is tied over a small plastic tube in a nail knot fashion. The plastic tube is only about 1/16 " in Outside Diameter and it's hollow. This allows you to slide the fishing line though the tube and the slide the nail knot off the tube and onto the fishing line. Slide the tubing off the fishing line complete and then pull the tag and standing ends of the chartruse bead line and tighten the nail knot onto the fishing line. The line when wet will allow the bobber stop's nail knot to slide up and down the fishing line so you can set the proper depth. Today I used a 5ft ultralight graphite rod that we got though cabelas and a Shimano ultralight openfaced spinning reel. I started out using Trilene XL 4lb test line and after having a loop form in the line which thwarted my casting I decided that it was time to put on new line. I allowed the wind to blow my boat into the shoreline where I could get some assistance from a friend who helped hold the fishing line while I added new line to my reel. I spooled on some Stene Low Visibility Green 6lb test line. This line reminded me of the Ironsilk line from Berkeley. HUMMMMMMM. It also was good at jumping off the small diameter arbor when I was not looking. I ended up having to retie my line at least five times today which really cut into my fishing time. I got a late start and didn't get the boat launched until 1 PM. I didn't start fishing for real until 3PM as I spent from 1 pM to 3 PM retying my line several times and finally adding the new Stren line to my reel. I am never going back to Berkely Trilene XL 4lb test line again. It's has too much line memory even when sprayed with line magic spray. In about 15 minutes I caught 10 crappie as fast as I could throw out the jig. I had fun today for a while. Went to another spot where the water flows though a big culvert under the road from the Blue Grass Pit into Loon Pit. The culvert goes under Boonville NewHarmony Road and empties into LOON. With all the rain we have had this last few weeks Blue Grass Pit is filled to capacity and the run off is flowing into LOON pit and though LOON pit into Otter Pit to the south. There the water flows out of Otter Pit and flows into a drainage ditch which flows though a corn field back to the West into Blue Grass Creek which is just to the East of I-164 bypass. I knew that the water was still flowing though the sytem as I drove by otter pit and could hear and see the water flowing under Euler Road out of Otter Pit into the ditch and then into the Field to the West of Otter pit and Euler Road. I arrived at the North End of LOON and found the water flowing out of the culver and though a small ditch that ran about 100ft from the mouth of the culver and then emptied into LOON pit proper. My first cast was right where the water entered loon pit and the bobber when under almost immediately. There were several bank fishermen fishing by the rip rap along the road and I was talking to them as I made my first cast. I noticed that my bobber was gone and set the hook on a nice 2lb Black Bass LM. The legal limit is 18' for black bass LM in this pit so I turned him or her loose after getting the jig out of his mouth. If the limit were 14" I would have had a nice bass for the livewell. I didn't catch anymore fish today and called it quits around 4:45 PM when the sun was setting. I hate this getting dark earlier. I wish we could stay on Daylight Savings time year round.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Ky lake has risen 3 feet, and dropped 2 + feet this past week. The lake is stained (Big sandy, West Sandy). Sat, the wind was up, gusting to 20 mph. Now what you would call "ideal" conditions. Farmer and I covered a lot of water. We did not get skunked, but we sure did not get a wallhanger. We covered a lot of water. Shallows, flats, deep, drops, brushpiles. You name it, we tried it. What we found in all locations were the fish were stacking, both vertical and horizontal. They are getting ready to do something. Who knows what. We both got wind burned, well I did. We had a real good time. I will let Crappiefarmer fill in the details. By the way, the next time any of you guys see Crappiefarmer, dont stare at him too much. He lost his ears. I talked them off.

One more thing. I caught a crappie that was smaller than the jig I caught him on. Honest. I have a witness. Well maybe almost as small as the jig.

Cane Pole
    Last edited by Moose1am; 11-07-2004 at 10:35 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappiehunter and Canepole Trip

Canepole and I gave it a good effort on saturday. The fish just did not cooperate. We fished every type of structure possible from 5ft-25ft. of water. The lake was rather void of boats. Very few boats on the water. That should have told us something, but we braved the wind and gave it a whirl anyway. It was great to meet another person from the board and be able to put a name with a face. Canepole you are a class act and I appreciate the hospitality you and Mrs. Canepole handed out to me. I hope to do it again sometime real soon. Crappiehunter

Cane Pole

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for clearing that up Crappiehunter. Last I checked, I was picking cotton in N.E. North Carolina on Saturday. Was starting to wonder if I had an out of body experience or if there is an imposter Crappiefarmer :D . CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiefarmer I thought that it was strange that you took off from farming to go way over there fishing during a peak time, but stranger things have happened.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default So, I have a problem with names.

I have a problem with names, peeing and regular bowel movements. lol

Cane Pole
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Canepole,
    We both had a problem with locating biting fish last weekend, but it will get better. The name thing- just too many crappie people on this site. Oh, that is the point of this site!
    I have a problem with names, peeing and regular bowel movements. lol

Cane Pole

Post Thanks / Like

"
    I add a thrill type bobber stop whch is basically a chartruse colored bead thread that is tied over a small plastic tube in a nail knot fashion. The plastic tube is only about 1/16 " in Outside Diameter and it's hollow. This allows you to slide the fishing line though the tube and the slide the nail knot off the tube and onto the fishing line. Slide the tubing off the fishing line complete and then pull the tag and standing ends of the chartruse bead line and tighten the nail knot onto the fishing line. The line when wet will allow the bobber stop's nail knot to slide up and down the fishing line so you can set the proper depth"
    We've been making our own knots with 12 lb braided dacron and beads from the craft store, $3.00 looks like a lifetime supply, tie directly on the line or pretie a bunch on coffee stirrers from 7-11.