Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost a rig today...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lost a rig today...

My brother joined me for a day fishing today. He loves fishing but rarely gets the opportunity. We had a great time catching largemouth bass, some over 18". Only one crappie all day but he was an 11-incher which is pretty good size in this lake.

But there was a bummer: While I had two lines in the water (one on a cast, one on a bobber) I stupidly took a phone call. Good news is the call was from a customer who wanted to place a big order (yeah!). The bad news is that while we were talking I got hits on both lines! I grabbed the casting rod with my left hand, phone in my right. At the same time I tried to step on the handle of the bobber rod...but the fish was too fast and I watched as he dragged it right off the dock and into the water.

We were laughing so hard I had to tell my customer that I was playing hookey today fishing, that I had two fish on the lines while were were talking and that I'd just lost a rod and reel.

It was a cheap combo Pflueger ultralight from Dick's Sporting Goods, but that little 4'6" rod with 4lb line had landed 18" bass, 25" northern pike and lots of crappie and perch in just one month.

Here's an LGB it brought in while it was still mine

Name:  A fish story.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  20.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

congrats on a good day cept for the rod and reel. I lost a new rod/reel one time, never got to use. Had it rigged up ready for some stripper fishing, and tip got hung on bouy, overboard in 5 sec flat in 50 FOW.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good day on the lake. Congrats on the catch and landing the job Thumbs Up.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

What was that ole saying, "it happens", or something like that? Lost a good many, had some help from my boys losing them too. I remember him explaining, "dad, we were just sitting there on the river bank with it propped up on a stick and the next thing I know it was flying thru the air!" Couldn't help but laugh. There are worse things that can happen but it still hurts your feelings to see a favorite fall out of the boat and disappear.

Post Thanks / Like

Great story.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we've all lost a rod at one time or another but that still doesnt make it much better. Atleast that phone call will help put some money in your pocket to replace that rod and reel. Congrats on the day and catch.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Plus it gave you a great story you will love retelling for years. Don't we all enjoy hearing someone tell a story on themselves where they did something dumb. You're among good friends when you can laugh at yourself. I've got a boatload of them and love to tell them. That is when I can tell them before my sons can tell them on me. ha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    congrats on a good day cept for the rod and reel. I lost a new rod/reel one time, never got to use. Had it rigged up ready for some stripper fishing, and tip got hung on bouy, overboard in 5 sec flat in 50 FOW.
    Ouch!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great story, Thanks for sharing. Did you make enough off the order to buy another rod ?Thumbs UpRofl

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Back in our bass fishing days, I lost 3 at once. We were coming out of a creek channel back in to the main river and I guess the vibration knocked a crankbait loose. Best we can figure is that the line got wrapped around my other rods and then the crankbait caught on something in the river. All I know is that 3 rods and reels went flying out of the boat all at once and were long gone. I've never bought super expensive stuff, but I lost a favorite Ambassadeur baitcaster and a total of about $250 in that little episode.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast