Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keeping extra fishing line

Post Thanks / Like

Default keeping extra fishing line

I saw a bill dance show once and he talked about keeping and storing fishing line. he said that when you get done putting line on your reel that it helps if you put the excess line in an ice cheat with a anti-moisture pack it will keep your line fresh and Oder free and good for the next times use. is there any truth in this does any one buy bulk line by the 1/2 lbs spool and do this ?

Josh
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually just buy like a 2000 yd spool and use it until it's used up, then buy another. I dont want to keep line for years and expect it to stay as a new roll of line.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

i buy line in bulk also but i just keep in in the house,never had a problem!!!!!!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

ok well i just bought a 1/2lbs spool of vicious panfish 4# and 6# and i was courious about how other people keep there extra fishing line

Post Thanks / Like

mine stays in the either of the 2 garages, not in sunlight but gets hot and cold.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep mine in the fridge in the basement, doesn't get hot and it's out of the way.

Post Thanks / Like

I always try to keep mine in the house and do believe it will last for years that way. I've got line I've never used from I bought 10 years ago and wouldn't be afraid of trying it.

Heat will absolutely kill most lines. When my son was in college, he kept a lot of stuff in his car. He remembers losing a lot of big fish this way until he started bringing his gear inside after each trip. Grew up watching Bill Dance and he's a good ole boy but you have to watch him or he might just try to sell you something.

All that info he gives you on what he's using and what he's fishing with is there to catch fishermen more than it is to catch fish. We know he has to do it and he's one of the great originals, so we still love him. I remember the days when he would show up at the dock with a big string of 3-8lb. fish and hoist them up where you could see them. Back then they cleaned and ate everything or just gave it away. (sorry, got carried away thinking about the good ole days)

Again, heat's the main culprit.

Post Thanks / Like

ive always kept my fishing gear in doors unless its being used or in the boat in the garage it didnt take me long as a kid to figure out the more u take care of your rod the longer your rod and fishing gear will last

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

C.J. --- I keep my line spools inside, in a closet where my fishing/hunting gear is stored. I've got spools of line that are probably 20yrs old, or older, and they're still usable. Like the others have said ... keeping the line in a dark, cool place, is key to them lasting a long time. I don't lose a lot of line, when fishing, but I do change out line on my most used reels about once a year ... minimum. Leaving them in a vehicle (boat/car/truck), where the line can get hot ... or anywhere, where the Sun can get to it for any length of time ... will degrade the line much quicker. I don't know that putting the line in a refrigerator is necessary ... but, keeping it out of any hot, damp place, or anywhere that it's going to be in the Sun ... is necessary, in order for it to last.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

UV light and heat are the two things that will kill monofilament line. I keep mine in the house with no special storing procedures and my service spools of Trilene and P-line are as new even though they are 4-5 years old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast