Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: thinking about making some lantern holders

Post Thanks / Like

Default thinking about making some lantern holders

im thinking about making some lantern holders for my boat i have access to all the material in my dads shop with a welder and all the toys im just not sure how high and how far away and above the water to make it and do yall think i can make them adustable what would yall do how would yall make them i would like to see what yall are useing to hold you lantern when yall go night fishing

thanks
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

back in the day we just used a clamp with a hook welded on it that held the lantern just over the edge of the boat and had a shield behind the lantern to keep the light all to the side of the boat. the lantern was just far enough above the water to keep it out of the water.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...rn-hanger.html I had made a couple similar to the one in the link, but it was 1/2" (thinwall) EMT, plenty heavy enough to support a lantern, which I'd bend the 90* (had a bender) instead of piecing it together. Thing I can't recall was how I'd attached it to the boat, I think the oarlocks were so worn that the EMT fit into them. I also 2nd the shield (I used thin aluminum roof flashing, but even aluminum foil will work for a while) to keep the light out of your eyes.....downside is it will attract the bugs.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie josh View Post
    im thinking about making some lantern holders for my boat i have access to all the material in my dads shop with a welder and all the toys im just not sure how high and how far away and above the water to make it and do yall think i can make them adustable what would yall do how would yall make them i would like to see what yall are useing to hold you lantern when yall go night fishing

thanks
    C.J. ... I used a Coleman (fuel) Lantern for decades, when night fishing for Crappie (back in my youth). Basically it was right beside the boat (hanging over the side) and just a few inches from the surface of the water. Always seemed to work well, in that position. I've also seen people have a hanger that was well above "head level" (of a person standing), and have their lantern hanging on that.

The type of boat, and interior construction of it, will dictate what it takes to make a lantern hanger ... since you'll have to have some way for it to be anchored "inside" the boat (to support the weight + keep the lantern between you & your rod tips). There's been some discussion on this, before ... here's the link (& there's several other links in the thread) : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...rn-hanger.html

I've used the aluminum foil trick, and the screw-on shield ... both of which worked great !!

I also found this "hanger" - FISHING ACCESSORIES - and I can see where it could be used as a base model, and modified to allow for several different heights or distances from boat.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I made this one a few years back to fit in the seat base.....

Post Thanks / Like

The higher you have it the more bugs you will have to fight off, why I like a submersible light better. Thats a good looking rig Len has there though

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  4-11-09 014.jpg
Views: 2621
Size:  19.2 KB

No lantern- LED rope light wrapped around the boat.
    I have a submersible light I drop over the side of the boat.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

accessories
    Is a good design to look at.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.