Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many use Dual lock/ Quick snaps for Crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How many use Dual lock/ Quick snaps for Crappie?

Dual lock/quick snaps/quickbait...whatever you call 'em, the snaps that allow the quick changing of lures.

I stopped using them probably 15-20 years ago when I was young...I think primarily because of my trout background. Trout here just seemed to get too spooked by that much tackle. But recently I had gotten fed up with the slow summer bite and had some success with them on and I wondered how many of y'all used 'em?

Do crappie ever seemed to get spooked by them? (I used to think so)

Do you use them with or without the swivel? (I used the swivel the other day)

Do you clip directly to the lure or use leaders? (Due to my hesitance to use them at all, I pre-tied leaders to a bunch of my go-to lures...but I ended up clipping one crank directly to it and still hooked up)
    Learn to not run from your problems....except when your problems are giant boars.

Post Thanks / Like

i use them sometimes on jigs. some of the more experienced guys will certainly know more than me but honestly, i could not tell any difference in the action of the jig with or without. the extra weight may cause the bobber to sit a little lower in the water.

i never use them with crankbaits since they can effect the "swimming" action.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brad in MS View Post
    i use them sometimes on jigs. some of the more experienced guys will certainly know more than me but honestly, i could not tell any difference in the action of the jig with or without. the extra weight may cause the bobber to sit a little lower in the water.

i never use them with crankbaits since they can effect the "swimming" action.

That is the other thing that has scared me away from them for years....but yesterday I watched real close and none of the cranks had any issue....not the rapala or the strike king, and not while clipped directly to the dual lock or by leader? Although I can definitely see a "tuned" crank or out of tune crank swimming strangely.
    Learn to not run from your problems....except when your problems are giant boars.

Post Thanks / Like

i think (for sure) in my case that i tend to overthink everything.

several years ago a guy was showing me how to use a zara spook for bass. i was having major trouble getting the spook to "walk the dog" until i put ring on the eye of the spook. after that it was much easier, even though the guy told me that i should never do that.

so if your crankbaits work for you with a swivel then you should use them.

the crankbaits that i use don't look like a real minnow to me anyhow so i doubt that the fish really care.

Post Thanks / Like

Longling- I use loop knots for quick change on my jigs, so I dont like them cause, like you i think, in my head, they change the action. But they come stranded on SCROUNGER JIGS so that style at least likes them. And when longlining crankbaits BANDIT recommends to use them.

Slow trolling/ spider riging I'll use them for my leaders for live bait. For quick exchange on to a swivel or 3 way swivel.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as it's only the duo-lock snap, NO SWIVEL. I use a size 1 on just about everything and never had a problem. I usually buy them by the thousand, but I also use them for other lure making so for me it's cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like

I only use them on CB's, I usually just change out the plastic grub color, etc..
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was Quiksnap that I used to use when fishing a jig with a float. There was no swivel attached to it and I tried to use one as small as I could find. I never did use them much for convenience, just for keeping the jig straight. I got the idea from watching Bill Dance catching crappie. He said it would help the bait ride up in the water in a natural position instead of dipping down in back.

I used it for years until one day I put it in a glass of water. It worked some but not nearly as well as I thought it would. Now I use the knot they show on youtube as being the best knot you can use for fluorcarbon. It takes more time to tie but you can really cinch it down and pull the knot back toward the point of the hook. When you drop it down (when tightlining) it will sit straight up like it is supposed too. Works great!

I agree, the more metal you add, the less effective. Crappie can be finicky, especially when they have a little time to look it over.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Berkley cross lock snaps on my cranks with and without the swivel. I just tie a loop knot for jiggin. For spider riggin, I tie a barrel swivel on the end of my main line, and a snap swivel on the top of my rigs to join them together, or change rigs faster. I also use a snap swivel for my weight so I change weight sizes quickly if the wind changes speed, or I push em faster. To each his own, good luck!!!!!
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I agree, the more metal you add, the less effective. Crappie can be finicky, especially when they have a little time to look it over.
    x2.........but not counting beetle spins.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast