Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: long rod vs. short rod advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default long rod vs. short rod advice

my fishing these days is done via a pair of waders and a light vest. is a long rod or a short rod more conducive to casting small jigs and cranks for panfish?
    Last edited by rapman1; 07-27-2011 at 07:47 AM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rapman1 View Post
    my fishing these days is done via a pair of waders and a light vest. is a long rod or a short rod more conducive to casting small jigs and cranks for panfish?
    Your choice, Rapman1 !!

If you're wading, you're right at water level +/- ... so a shorter rod may be easier to manipulate, especially if you have overhangs to consider. The longer rods will give you longer casts, generally ... but, they can also be problematic around overhanging obstacles. No overhanging obstacles to worry about ... then it's all a matter of choice, as to which length outfit you enjoy using the most !!

When I first started casting jigs for Crappie ... I was using a 5' rod (from boat or bank). Now I generally use a 6.5 -7' rod for jig casting, and use my 5 footers for dock shooting. (then again, I'm usually fishing from a boat)

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I think a long rod should give you a longer cast.Not sure about the ultra light jigs but seems like a longer rod would help there too.

Post Thanks / Like

Casting light jigs with the appropriate reel, line, and light to U.L. action rod will give the best results up to a 7-0' rod. Longer rods work better for slipfloats and such. It has more to do with how the rod loads during the cast as this propels the jig for distance. You may just have to tinker with setups to see which works best for a wading approach. Good luck and good fishing.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

6-7' all the way. I fish from a kayak at times and have no issues with longer rods. I have a 5' that I don't even have a real on anymore.

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the general opinion that a 6'6" to 7' with a 2000 series reel will do you real well. The bigger reel will give a longer cast and the bigger drag washers will be smoother. Always loosen the drag when you're done for the day and the drag washers won't compress and an inexpensive reel will last a long time.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I only use long rods for casting. Crappiepappy does make a good point if you're fishing around tree limbs or brush. That's when using a longer rod could result in a broken rod tip. If you need to feel the bite, get a graphite. If not, a glass rod is cheaper and is less likely to break.

Skeet gave you a good tip about the drag. Reminded me to go and loosen mine right now. Best way to remember is to develop good habits where you take care of it on automatic pilot.

Post Thanks / Like

Wade fishing is different than standing on a bow - the rod tip is closer to the water when the lure is retrieved. This makes a difference because line angle, given the same length of line out, is more horizontal the lower the rod angle and tip distance to the water.

A short rod with fast action tip is fine if you don't have underwater snags or weeds to negotiate through or out of, but generally a longer rod makes life easier when wading. For casting distance, I usually have a foot or more line hanging down just before the cast and it helps get 1/32 and 1/16 oz. jigs out a bit further; a shorter rod doesn't allow it when wading.

Standing on a bow allows me to use any length rod, though in my experience a longer rod length allows a better hookset the longer the distance cast, again becaus of rod angle and tip distance to the water.
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 07-28-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, it's hot out here. Just loosened the dang drag on 40 reels. Thanks Skeet.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with The Lip Rippers & Skeetbum on this, but if you were is a boat and trolling I would say longer for a lot of reasons.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast