Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's cooking for your side dishes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's cooking for your side dishes?

I cook french fries/tater tots, homemade stove top BBQ beans, coleslaw,homemade hushpuppies & fried donuts. If you are looking for recipes let me know I will be glad to share.
    catch them on the run

Post Thanks / Like

Usually slaw or a salad, homemade mac and cheese, sometimes onion rings with fried crappie. Wild rice pilaf with baked or sauteed and grilled veggies with grilled fish. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I whould like to know how to cook fried donuts...

Post Thanks / Like

Red face fried donuts

You will need a can of biscuits or two, make sure they are the butter type, dont use the flaky type, when your oil reachs 400' and before you cook your fish or fries, just pinch off a fourth of each biscuit, you should get 4 pieces off of each biscuit, cook until they float, they will sometimes turn over by themself if not just turn them over for a more even cook, take them out when they are golden brown. Drain them in a pie dish on a paper towel until you have the whole can used up. Then mix up powder sugar about 1/2 cup to 1 cup add just about a 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla & just enough milk to mix altogether, if you get to much milk in the sugar mixture just add enough powder sugar to make a soft smooth mixture. You then drizzle the mixture over the donuts let them set about 5 to 8 minutes before eating. They are wonderful. * I sometimes cook them after I cook my crappie instead of before, especially with new oil. If you need any help let me know.:o
    Last edited by Roadrunner; 04-03-2006 at 08:13 PM.
    catch them on the run

Post Thanks / Like

Crunchy Shoe-String fries and VIDALIA'S! What else do you need?

Post Thanks / Like

My Yankee'ism is gonna show through on this But what is a hushpuppie anyway. Heard the name before on TV or something but never seen one.

Post Thanks / Like

Fried Red potatoes and onions, wifes potato salad and sometimes baked beans! Hummm I am hungry now!
    Don't take life so seriously, no one lives through it anyhow!!

Post Thanks / Like

Chris in Ct

A hushpuppy is mixed with a variety of ingredients based on your preference. Really they are cornmeal balls mixed with flour, sugar, chopped onions and any other ingredients you may like. A grocery store should sell hushpuppy mix. If you use House of Autry fish meal, then look for their hushpuppy mix. I prefer homemade hushpuppies and if I don't get time to make any or put the mix in a bowl and take to someone's fish fry there is a BBQ restaurant down the road that has the BEST hushpuppies on the face of the earth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner
    You will need a can of biscuits or two, make sure they are the butter type, dont use the flaky type, when your oil reachs 400' and before you cook your fish or fries, just pinch off a fourth of each biscuit, you should get 4 pieces off of each biscuit, cook until they float, they will sometimes turn over by themself if not just turn them over for a more even cook, take them out when they are golden brown. Drain them in a pie dish on a paper towel until you have the whole can used up. Then mix up powder sugar about 1/2 cup to 1 cup add just about a 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla & just enough milk to mix altogether, if you get to much milk in the sugar mixture just add enough powder sugar to make a soft smooth mixture. You then drizzle the mixture over the donuts let them set about 5 to 8 minutes before eating. They are wonderful. * I sometimes cook them after I cook my crappie instead of before, especially with new oil. If you need any help let me know.:o
    Thanks Roadrunner I am going to try this!!!!
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

Talking The Human craving for fried dough

Boy, it's universal, isn't it? Sweet fried dough like that idea from Roadrunner for fried biscuits in a can (yeah, we're trying that one), hushpuppies, frybread, etc. There isn't a culture in the world tha tdoesn't have some version of fried dough. And they're all good. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast