Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many change hooks of crankbaits, comments

Post Thanks / Like

Default How many change hooks of crankbaits, comments

I FOR ONE ALWAYS CHANGE THE HOOKS ON MY BANDIT LURES AS I LIKE A BIGGER#4 RED HOOK. AND I USE A SMALL :o:pPIECE OF PLASTIC TUBE ON REAR HOOK TO KEEP FROM FOILING THE HOOKS.
    WHY DON'T THE MANUFACTURER USE LARGER HOOKS

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I replace the small hooks on Bandits with red #4s also. I lose a lot more fish on the baits I haven't changed the hooks on. I'm curious about the plastic tubing on the rear hook. Any pics?

Post Thanks / Like

Changing hook sizes on some baits can change the action of the bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I stuck with #6's, but have changed them all to red. I'm starting to think about going with a single red hook on the rear. I'm having a few unwanted fatalities with deep hooked trebles. My only fear is that the single hook may pull out easier, resulting in not even getting the fish to the boat.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filletfetish View Post
    I stuck with #6's, but have changed them all to red. I'm starting to think about going with a single red hook on the rear. I'm having a few unwanted fatalities with deep hooked trebles. My only fear is that the single hook may pull out easier, resulting in not even getting the fish to the boat.
    I change my hooks the same as you do staying with a #6.
    I have thought about running only the back hook too. 99% of the fish I catch on cranks are with the back hook only and most of the time the front hook gets caught in the fish while trying to remove the back hook. I will snag a fish every now and then with the front hook.
    Since there is no stop movement while pulling cranks I don't think it would hurt the catch rate.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

I know a bunch of the people that fish with us in MS are strong believers in the red #6 hooks

Post Thanks / Like

It shouldn't be a problem but if you do it, make sure to tune it so it runs right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket rich View Post
    WHY DON'T THE MANUFACTURER USE LARGER HOOKS
    Money is a consideration.

I always change the hooks out on the bandits, they come with low quality hooks, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, most shortcuts are due to money instead of what works best. You can buy a bag of plastic treble hook covers at BPS. I know they work with bass lures but not sure about smaller hooks.

Post Thanks / Like

What brand of trebles have you guys had the best luck with when switching them out? I'm due to change a few dozen and might as well go red while I'm at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast