Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today's project

Post Thanks / Like

Default Today's project

This one may not be much use unless you have the same boat as me, but I was pleased with how it turned out and thought I'd share...

Earlier this year I bought a 2011 Excel 860 and it has a fiberglass console that bolts to the floor with an outer lying flange. Not a big deal except that it creates about a 2 inch gap between the front deck and the livewell/console. I know for a fact that this gap is the perfect size for a lively bluegill to flop into and get stuck. Digging him out was a bunch of fun

So I've been thinking of a way to better utilize the space. I decided to build a "stand-up" rod rack for placing rods into when I wanted to pick up and move from one location to another on the water.

I started with a treated 2X4 and marked my hole locations.

I cut my holes and built a frame that would tightly hold eight pieces of 1 1/4 PVC in place.

A little more trimming to fit and I covered it in carpet. Lowes had a very close match to what was already in my boat

Wedged it into place and I'm ready to "rock n roll".

I later went back and bolted another plastic rod holder on the outer edge to act as a net holder while trolling.

I already had the wood, screws, and carpet glue. The PVC and carpet were only around $10. Had I not decided that I really needed that nice new set of hole saws I coulda done it pretty cheap too. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good to me...

Post Thanks / Like

Ive always tought about doing a vertical holder. But been scared of running into trees or with 16' rods the tips getting tangled at full speed while on the water. Let us know how it works after a few trips. But your fab looks great.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Like your way of thinking! When fishing in a boat all day its nice to utilize every space and make things handy and neat. Makes for a better day of fishing!
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good idea and good job.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

That is a greeat idea and job well done.

Post Thanks / Like

I love what you did with that. It looks really good.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great idea, well done. Someone will be copying that soon.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

The newer Excel's have a 4 rod holder there from the factory, similar to the holders on a center console. I like yours though. Holds more rods and a net.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast