Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: who fishes by the moon? believe it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default who fishes by the moon? believe it?

Fishing today really was bad. We (3) caught 5 keepers today on Woods Resevior in Tennessee. All I heard from my buddy was we didnt catch fish today because we are on a New Moon. We talked to alot of guys on the lake and no one did good at all. I never have believed in this theory, whats your thoughts. BTW, these fish are full of eggs and ready to blow. Chub

Post Thanks / Like

Hunterchub, I belive I could have put you on a few more than five fish. I went to Woods last week and we had 14 keepers with winds whipping at about 20 to 25 mph. Two weeks before that we had 58 keepers. What were you targeting? We caught all our fish trolling in 11 to 13 feet of water. I'm thinking they are gonna move shallow any day if they havent already. Do you live close by and do you fish Woods often? I live in Winchester.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink I believe .....

Quote Originally Posted by hunterchub
    Fishing today really was bad. We (3) caught 5 keepers today on Woods Resevior in Tennessee. All I heard from my buddy was we didnt catch fish today because we are on a New Moon. We talked to alot of guys on the lake and no one did good at all. I never have believed in this theory, whats your thoughts. BTW, these fish are full of eggs and ready to blow. Chub
    the Moon is ALWAYS there ... it just shines a little brighter, when the Earths shadow isn't on it. Its "tidal pull" is always in effect ... regardless of where it's located (in relation to the Earth) ... either postively (when overhead) or negatively/less positively (when on other side of planet). I believe that water temps, water clarity, water level stability, weather conditions (recent past/current), and other such factors weigh more heavily on the mood of the fish, than Moon Phases alone. I also believe that - if common belief was, that the third Thursday of the month was the best day to fish ... it would probably be so -- considering that, if the majority of people fished their waters on that day, the numbers would add up to make it appear to be a "correct assumption". That's just the fallacy of polls, as an indicator of what/when one single aspect is "best".
    I do, however, believe that there IS some "truth" present, in relation to the Moon Phase theory ... it is "one" factor, of many, that adds up to the potential for a successful situation. Everything in Nature has an effect ... it's the cumulative effect, of ALL of the factors, that makes or breaks the end results. IMHO, that is .............. luck2ya ....... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I think barometer readings are more reliable than moon phases.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappieseeker, I live in Fayetteville and fish Woods the most of them all. I fished all day. I tried shallow, deep, minnows, jigs, trolling, drifting and by buddies boat almost caught fire, LOL. smoke was a pooring out. He had two wires touching and they finally wore through. Was just a bad day of fishing I guess.
    Crappiepappy, If it were not for my college education, I might not have been able to follow your reply, LOL. Thanks for the input. I do believe what you say is true. Chub

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the moon effects fish and wildlife and I take into account when I'm in the outdoors. Having said that, I will not let it keep me at home. I'd rather be out fishing than sitting at the house thinking about catching.
    LET IT RIP!