Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: odd day on the lake....

Post Thanks / Like

Default odd day on the lake....

Got up early this morning and met a buddy of mine at a local pond. After about 2 hours of basically nuthin', I finally got a good bite. Reeled in a catfish. Nothing big- maybe a 1/2 pound. The odd thing was I caught him with a 1 inch black curly tail grub on a fast retrieve!

My buddy left and I went back home and packed up the family and we headed to another pond. Here, our luck was much better. About 15 crappie and 4 bass total. Now, another odd thing happened. My daughter (4yoa) was fishing with her Barbie zebco pole and a live cricket. She got bored and handed her pole off to her brother (who's 9). Immediately he got a bite and reeled in a 2.5 pound bass! I have never caught a bass on a cricket, and never caught a bass this big in extremely shallow water. Hands Clapping I kid you not- that bobber was about 8 inches from the bank.

We packed up after that and released all the fish. We'll try again on a day when we feel like eating some. I think today will be one of those days we'll remember for awhile. Just an odd day on the lake and wanted to share it with y'all.

Have a great weekend!
    Eric W.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, a day fishing with your family is wonderful. Catching fish is icing on the cake. We all run into a catfish every now and then when we're fishing artificials. A lot of fish stay close to the looking to feed. That bass probably wasn't expecting you to be fishing for him there either.

Getting your kids started early is a good idea. Making sure they can catch some fish increases the chance of them wanting to go again. Make sure to take some pics next time. You'll want to look at them many years from now with your grandchildren.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I love those days when you just never know what'll bite next. Good report and good catch. Congrats.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.