Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground wasp 4, man 0

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ground wasp 4, man 0

3 cans of bee and wasp spray, 4 cups of gasoline and them ding dang buggers got me again. The battle rages on. These are very small yellow wasp not the normal size ground bees. I cannot seem to kill them. Hit them at night and day thought I was making progress but as soon as I got within 50 feet with the mower, here they come after me, got me again for the 4th time. They are holed up in a 30 inch round of pine firewood that was to knotty to mess with.

Unless you all know of a sure fire way to get em they are getting the axe tonight and then the spray again. I am running out of WD40 the only thing that seems to kill the pain from the sting. I gonna split there world wide open.

Post Thanks / Like

have heard that wet tobacco (from a cigar) will take or absorp the poison from bee stings, and meat tenderizer mixed with some water to make a paste will do the same. Meat tenderizer is good for fire ant bites as well. If the bees have made a home/nest in some rotten wood/timber, I would pour some gas on it along with a match if there is nothing else around. If there is, just sneak up on 'em and dump some gas on 'em. Leave the mower in the shed as the sound/vibrations of the motor draws their attention.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait until dark anad get 'em all.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Gas the nest after dark and AfterBite for the stings. Wally World carries it. It has amonia in it.

Post Thanks / Like

If they have swarmed, and I would guess that they have due to your previous efforts, give them a couple of days to settle back down. Sentry guards will fly for a couple of days after a major swarm. Sounds like Yellow Jackets. Go nocturnal and later is better.

Fabric stores sell a mesh fabric, sort of like window screen, called Toole? (sp). 60" wide. Get a couple yards, maybe a couple bucks. I use safety pins to attach 1/2 oz. bass sinkers to weight the net edges to the ground. Sort of a red-neck cast net for bees. Sneak up at night (red lens on headlamp) and drape or throw the netting over the nest. Soft and silent approach, with no heavy steps to send vibrations through the ground. Then you can plot their demise.

Just whacked a ground nest that had hundreds. Gas will bring them out of the nest. I use a 3 gal. pump sprayer with insecticide to hit the escapees that the mesh net catches. Leave the net covering the nest for a couple of days to confirm eradication.

Slight pucker factor putting the net over the nest, but once in place, it gets to be fun. Revenge rage is therapeutic. (Bees only)
    "Hello, My name is Bill, and I'm a tackleholic"

Post Thanks / Like

"Slight pucker factor putting the net over the nest, but once in place, it gets to be fun. Revenge rage is therapeutic. (Bees only) "
    RoflRofl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    have heard that wet tobacco (from a cigar) will take or absorp the poison from bee stings,
    This isn't a myth. I know it from personnal experience. The thing is, that it's not just from a cigar, cigarettes work just as well. I've used wet tobacco from my cigarettes many times to relieve the sting of some really mean and nasty hornets.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried everything for stings and wd-40 seems to work the best for me. I got em last night. punched the log open with a pool cleaner pole and saw the paper nest inside swarming with wasp, sprayed anther whole can of hornet/wasp spray on the whole thing and then ran like %$#^. I will look at it tonight, will not even go in back yard now. plus to dang hot outside to be chased by bees.

Post Thanks / Like

TAPE A PENNY TO THE STING AND YOU WANT HAVE ANY SWELLING OR ITCH AND NEVER KNOW YOU HAVE BEEN BIT .Wife got stung 5 times last weekend did the penny thang and within an hour no pain or swelling no itch. try it it works!
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

The easy way to kill yellow jackets is to fill a beer bottle with gas, then stick the open in end in the hole and leave... Plugs the hole and no escapees...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast