Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Stinky year!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stinky year!

The title puts it mildly. This year I'm trying to fish mainly with jigs. I haven't been out too many times cause spring was crappy and work has been crazy! Did go out today. Dang, it was hot! Water temp was 85. Tried jigging again and could not get a nibble! I know the heat might be effecting them but after trying 15 different colors I figured I get one! I've caught 4 crappie this year here at home. What the heck! Might ditch the jigs and go back to minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

I had much rather use jigs than minnows but I hear a lot of people do real well with them in the summer time. What luck I've had has either been right before dark when they come up to feed or fishing deep work with heavy brush. I feel they are laid up in there when the sun is shining bright. Seems like you catch a bunch of small fish for every good one during the heat of the day.

You might try casting jigs with grubs along drops that have brush. They can still be caught but you have to work for them. Another thing I try to do is put out a good piece of brush every time I go to sweeten up some of my old spots and add a few more I can hit during prime time.

One of the best things about summer when it comes to crappie fishing is it makes you appreciate fall getting here even more.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't limit yourself. I love using jigs, but sometimes the fish will only take a minnow, or a combination of the two. Take em both and you'll be set either way. I know it's EASIER using jigs because they stay alive longer, and you don't have to stop and get em every time out. My year has been like yours. No time to go. But I'll get em next time, just like you will!!!
    ;-)
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

When you limit yourself to just jigs or minnows you are trying to make them bite what you want them to bite on. That is like someone trying to make you eat something that you don't want to eat. Give them what they want to eat and enjoy catching instead of trying to figure out why they won't bite what you are trying to feed them. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

You might try tipping your jigs with small chunks of baitfish like bluegill, etc. It's worked like a charm for me for the last two days (after two weeks of nothing but weak nibbles, no strikes).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eager beaver View Post
    when you limit yourself to just jigs or minnows you are trying to make them bite what you want them to bite on. That is like someone trying to make you eat something that you don't want to eat. Give them what they want to eat and enjoy catching instead of trying to figure out why they won't bite what you are trying to feed them. Eb
    x2

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    When you limit yourself to just jigs or minnows you are trying to make them bite what you want them to bite on. That is like someone trying to make you eat something that you don't want to eat. Give them what they want to eat and enjoy catching instead of trying to figure out why they won't bite what you are trying to feed them. EB
    X3 Always carry minnows and nibbles and what ever else I think might work.
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I use to wouldn't use miners,but i have come to realize that they catch alot of fish.I still cannot bring myself to pullin crankbaits.But that may change one day,just kinda boring to me.Just opinions

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to ask what time of day you're fishing? Reason I ask is that I find when conditions are tough, I get a good bite but the fish turn off early, and get tight, sometimes super tight to the cover. When this happens you have to have a big bag of tricks to get into. I slide the boat off the trailer as early as possible, and have been known to idle towards where I'm starting til I can see. To be home by 11 o'clock isn't unusual.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I've got to say, I'm having great year especially since the water levels have stabilized since the spring rains. I've actually found that some days the fishing has gotten better as the day heats up. We mostly fish from daylight till maybe 2:00pm. We leave with fish still active. 100+ fish days are common.
    When I see a question like this and someone say they tried 15 different jigs, I wonder were just fishing the different jigs or were you fishing different locations.
    We have found some we do keep the boat moving until we find some fish. Even in this heat we've found fish sometimes surprisingly shallow. 2 weeks ago we found fish in 6 fow in 90 degree water, the next week they were 8' - 10' deep over 20 fow, 3 weeks ago 10' deep over 35 fow.
    Just keep moving, try a variety of baits you'll find them.