Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Waters this Year?

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Waters this Year?

I've been whipping Lake Wa and Union crappie into submission these past few years so this year I'm going to check out a few new lakes and a few I have not fished in years.

Shadow Lake: I spent many a season fishing for bass and crappie in this little lake but have not fished it hard in a few years. We only made on trip there last year but caught over 30 largemouths from 1-2lbs. Nothing big but a lot of fun. It fishes like a farm pond most days so plastics and cranks work great. It's also a great place to learn how to fish topwaters for beginners. The bass start to move up into the canal as early as late March.

Lake Meridian: My favorite bass lake and for good reason. Not only does she hold plenty of trophy large and smallmouth......not many people fish it lol. Can't really ask for much more than that. I used to fish this lake 6 days a week when I lived two blocks from it for a couple years. All of the bass guys would head to Sawyer and drive right past a lake that's 3 times better lol.

Lake Ohop and Tanwax: Both of these lakes are where I learned how to catch crappie. If you have ever fished these two lakes you know it takes time, luck and skill to pull more than 20 keeper size crappie a day from either of them. If you can catch a stringer of nice fish here...you can catch a nice stringer anywhere. I loved fishing Ohop during the spawn and Fall when they school outside of the creek. I'll be fishing it plenty this year.

Coal Creek Slough/Columbia River: Two words: Monster Crappie. I have not fished the lower Big C sloughs in a long time but I will never forget the size and numbers of slab crappie down there. It was also fun to figure out what tide was best to catch them at. It can be a real challenge to catch these fish but that's what makes it worth the effort.

Cedar River: Smallmouth, smallmouth, smallmouth. The big boys will slide into the lower Cedar during the summer and a few are resident fish. Only opens for a few months so you better try to nail these brusiers whenever you can get down there. Plastics fished at the top of the holes is the key. Whenever I don't feel like dragging the boat out I'll be walking the banks of the Cedar this summer. Can't use bait like back in the day so forget about the perch and crappie in the lower river for now.

Sammamish Slough: Nice catfish, crappie, and Largemouth. I think I've already said too much:D.

What "new" places are you guys planning to fish this year?
    Last edited by SlabKing; 03-29-2006 at 10:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

you stole one of mine!:D just kiddin, i have been wanting to hit sammammish slough for some time now. but you can't use bait so i don't know how i would get the cats out of there. i want to get to know union and washington better as well. snake river sounds like fun and the potholes moses seep lakes area as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Urban, it's only selective rules from the 68th bridge to Lake Sammy lol . Anything goes from the mouth on Lake Wa up to the bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by urban_fisher1
    you stole one of mine!:D just kiddin, i have been wanting to hit sammammish slough for some time now. but you can't use bait so i don't know how i would get the cats out of there. i want to get to know union and washington better as well. snake river sounds like fun and the potholes moses seep lakes area as well.
    That sounds very similar to my list. Ill probably spend a lot of time in washington/union just because they are so close, and would like to fish Sammamish. I want to try some other places too, lake meridian sounds nice. I also cant wait to go catch limits of kokanee at Alder, and of course I wanna head over to potholes/moses area too.

Post Thanks / Like

for new places to try for crappie i would like to catch some out of washington and union. never have giving these lakes much of a shot. the perch arn't much of a problem. i will also try sawyer and kapowsin. i would also like to try moses more for crappie. when i go over to that area i dont go to moses i go strait for the potholes.
    fishin isn't a sport, it's a way of life.
    A motto I live by. :D
    go dawgs!!

Post Thanks / Like

i missed that in the regulations, you really need to know how to read pretty well to understand those stinkin things. i would like to try and cover that whole canal gradually over the summer

Post Thanks / Like

I talkef to a guy a few days ago, and he said that he used to snorkle the upper part by lake samamish and fet bags of crawfish, and he would see quite a few smallies in there as well, he said a few times he has heard of people floating it in a canoe? slab you might as well add Duck to your list if you go down you will get some! My list is too long to type out...
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how I forgot about Duck Lake Koke lol. That's gonna be at the top of the list really. Lake Sawyer is really good crappie lake as well. They don't get all that big though but there's always the chance you can nail a 5-6lb bass.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: New Waters

Wassup ? Slabking I Fish Ohop Alot From The Shore Until I Can Get Me A Boat. I Been Trying To Find Me A Bass Boat Real Cheap Like A Skeeter, Ranger ,tracker, Etc. I Used To Fish Tanwax From The Dock Until They Went Under New Management And Raised Their Prices, But I Would Always Do Good Around Baseball Playoffs.

Post Thanks / Like

When did they sale the resort on Tanwax? It's been about 5 years or so since I fished off the little dock down there. Used to be a pretty good place for bluegill and crappie off the left side the dock. Man, we'll have to meet at the boat launch on Ohop sometime this year and go catch a few. I always have an open seat on the boat.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast