Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a new rod...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Picked up a new rod...

I was lucky enough to stop in at a Bass Pro shops the other day while traveling up to Atlanta to a Braves game. I had been looking at this rod in the catalog and as luck would have it, they had one that had been returned and marked refurbished, so it only cost me $10. Thumbs Up

I chose the 7'6 two piece. It's the longest rod I own (by a foot) so may take a little getting used to. It is also the most flexible/limber rod I have so it should be super sensitive to feel those panfish bites. Hoping to get out to a pond in the next few days and try it out. Has anyone ever used one of these before?

Bass Pro Shops Micro Lite Glass Spinning Rods
    Eric W.

Post Thanks / Like

used a lot of glass rods and they are flexable for sure, kinda graduated away from them and went to the longer rods, personal preference, I remember liking them just fine, good luck and catch lots of fish on the new rod

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never used that particular rod but it sounds like you got it at a great price. Looking forwards to hearing a fish-catching report with your new rod soon.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll like the way the fish thump that rod. Good luck with the new toy.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! Planning on trying it out at a new pond after work. New rod/new pond seems like the way to go, huh?
    Eric W.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice rod, I like mine!!!

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

My son was given a 2 piece graphite rod as a gift many years ago. Since women who didn't know much about fishing, I figured it was a piece of junk. Boy was I wrong, it was far and away the best rod we had in the box. From that point on the search was on for something better. Found several over the years until I settled on GLoomis.

It just goes to show you don't have to pay an arm and leg to get a rod that will let you feel the fish. You're going to love it. You're also going to realize real quick how many bites you were getting that you never knew were there. Enjoy! Fishing for crappie and bluegill is fixing to get 10X better.

Post Thanks / Like

Gave it a shot yesterday afternoon and didn't catch much but a couple of small bluegills near shore. I did learn a bit about the rod, and will hopefully have some more luck next time. I hooked one fish in deep water- bass or crappie- and didn't set the hook hard enough. This rod is so limber that I set the hook like I do my other rod (5'2 graphite) without thinking that I'd actually have to set it harder than normal. I played the fish for just a few moments before the line went slack and he was gone. I'll remember next time.

It's also funny to watch the rod shake like crazy after each cast. You can sure fling a curly tail a mile, though.

Always a learning experience....Thumbs Up
    Eric W.

Post Thanks / Like

You make a good point about setting the hook. Years ago I read an article where the writer said he thought people didn't set the hook hard enough, especially with rods that had a soft tip. I found that to be dead on the money. I'm not saying you won't ever lose a fish that way but I have lost some real good crappie when I didn't have a good enough bite.

How many times have you netted a crappie only to see the hook fall out of its mouth? Now I set it just like I would if it was a 5 lb. bass. And every now and then I catch a good bass too.

As long as the lake you fish had good sized crappie, I think you're going to be happy setting back on that rod when you feel that thump.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two of the Micro Lite rods. Both are 7'6". One in is a med. action and the other is med. lite. I like mine just fine and have caught many a crappie with them. I don't recall having to set the hook like you mentioned though. Sometimes you just lose one. Ive missed em with every rod I have, including my Loomis rods. Good luck, and great deal on a nice rod!!
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast