PDA

View Full Version : Streamers on a Jig Hook?

funbun
07-19-2011, 06:15 AM
Have any of you tied streamers on a plain jig Aberdeen or sickle hook, using bead-chain eyes or something instead of lead? I don't like the idea of working with lead.

sneakypete
07-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Hey FB -
The sickle hooks work just fine on bass, crappie, and goggle-eyes, though I don't see any real difference between them and a hook with a plain-vanilla bend. However, there's something about unleaded jig-hooks that doesn't feel quite right. First of all, "Why?"
Second, the offset just might effect your ability to get a good hook-set. Don't know about that for certain, since I have never used one (And don't ever intend to!). If you have a local pond/lake whwere you can experiment, you might compare strikes to solid hook-ups with each type (jig-hooks against conventional styles) in similar flies. I'd be iterested in the results (Even though I'm pretty certain they wouldn't convert me!).
Pete

funbun
07-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Well, I'm interested in vertical jigging, but don't want to deal with lead. I figure the 90 deg bend would be better for vertical jigging while using them on streamer patterns.

sneakypete
07-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Uh, "vertical jigging"?
I believe Cabela's is presently promoting a sale on Shimano Stradics. Match one of those up with a crappie rod and some hair jigs, and you should do just fine.
Oh, it won't be fly fishing, but neither will "vertical jigging".
Sorry if I may seem to be a cantankerous old fart, but that's the way I gained my fame.
Pete

funbun
07-20-2011, 02:08 AM
I'm not interested in fly-fishing. I was asking about using a 90 degree bend tied with beadchain eyes instead of using lead.

sneakypete
07-20-2011, 06:12 AM
Oh.
Well, then beadchain should work fairly well, but if you research a fly-tying catalog, you will find brass hourglass eyes that might make the streamer sink a little faster - use beadchain for slow-sink models and brass for deeper applictions.
Bon chance.
Pete

funbun
07-20-2011, 07:20 AM
Ahh, thanks. I'll look that up. I'm just paranoid about lead!