Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Since we're already talking about next year...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Since we're already talking about next year...

I just wanted to throw out a couple thoughts, you guys do what you will with them. First off, it's obvious that we really needed Jim and Tom to take the huge step forward in creating the club and putting in time to make it a very successful venture in it's first year! Thank you and congrats for that alone!

So, you kicked around the idea of a fall event to kick off the 2012 season, and it sounds like everyone was all for it. I'm wondering if this will be the only tournament on Geist, or if it's just thrown in there as a bonus. Also, are you thinking about adding another event in total, or just moving one from, say the summer? When thinking of recruitment, it would maybe even be better to add to the total, but still keep the same number for scoring in the points race. That way if someone thinks about it after a long winter and joins the club, they still would only have to fish 6 of the 8 remaining events, rather than 7, to stay on par with the points scoring.

On another note, I did notice that the Sally tournament was just prior to the CUSA event held up there. Was that planned? I think it's a great idea to have a local event just prior to a bigger event! ISM really showed up there, so it was very nice to see! Going with that theme, I wondered, as an added kicker to the winning team, if ISM would also sponsor that team in the CUSA event? I know that there are some in the semi-pro division, but I think it would at least be nice to pick up the tab for the amount up to amateur status.

I know it may be a little early to already be thinking about next year, but the snowball is rolling along and gaining speed! Thanks again to Jim and Tom for stepping up!

Post Thanks / Like

Your very welcome and it has been an amazing first year. I am thinking the fall Geist Lake Tournament will be just a bonus tournament as I am sure we will have a Geist Spring tournament next year. We will be having a year end banquet after the Classic, and of course all members will be invited. This is where we will hash out next years rules and membership, along with trying to see if there are any suggestions to make our club better.

I truly hope that everyone that participated this year has had as much fun with this club as I have! Personally, I have learned an awful lot, and have good ideas where I may change my strategy next year. with two tournaments left in the season before the classic, I am already prepared to call this first season a success! I have very high hopes to make this club permanent to last us many years to come. It is a lot of work for whoever agrees to be an officer of the club, you have to have the passion to keep it going. I hope that we have done a good job as your officers of the club!

Good fishin'

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to have a few more tournaments in the fall. I would also have the idea thrown around about changing the points system. My team has made the top ten for 3 or 4 tournaments now and have gained no ground. If you look at it any place from 5th or 6th scores the same as a last place finisher as long as they weigh in fish. Not taking anything away from anybody else but it seems like it would make it more interesting in the points team of the year. But thats just my 2 cents worth. There are alot of teams that are consistent in good finishs and are making up no ground because there isnt much seperation in points.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Slab Masters officers for a great year so far, especially big thanks to Tom and Glenn for their hard work and many hours of weighing fish, managing website, posting results, getting permits, sending e-mails, getting sponsors, etc. There is alot of "behind the scenes" things that has to be done to affectively run a club this size.

--- As far as fall tourneys, I like the idea. My only concern is the new members who will join next spring as we promote the club, they will already be behind in points when they join in the winter. Just a though.

--- I also would like to see the points system change alittle. Just like Nascar, you should get points for what place you finish and bonus points for wins. As of now, a team that weighs in 1 fish gets the same points as a team that weighs in a limit and finishes in 6th place. I have weighed in 42 crappie in 6 tourneys and got the same as someone that weighs in 6 fish. Just another though.

---- I've had a great time this year fishing, learning and making new friends.

http://www.indianaslabmasters.com
    Jason Snyder
    Southern Pro Tackle, Juiced-Up Baits
    Roadrunner Fishing Team, Frogg Toggs

Post Thanks / Like

I understand your viewpoint on the points race. The reason why the points were set up the way they are is to keep everyone in the race and keep things close. If the points were set up with differing amounts of points according to how many fish are weighed, where you finish etc. you would find that the leaders would quickly be out of sight and out of reach on the points race, and although you are accumulating possibly more points than someone that weighs less than you, the leaders, and top 5 finishers would really pull away.

I will float the question out to the Advisory Board and get their input on this, and see they feel that a new points system for next year is in order.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the compliments guy's. It has been alot of work but to me it has all been worth it.
    We have ourselves a great thing going for the crappie fishermen in Indiana. We also have in my opinion the greatest group of people a person could ask for so I feel very lucky to be apart of this club.
    I also feel we have had a very successful season and feel it will continue to be a success. Not bad for rookies....LOL!

We will be giving the rules and the points system a real close look before our banquet. We have some great guys on the advisory board that have brought alot of good ideas to the table and I know together we can come up with some good changes for the 2012 season.

Look forward to the Cataract tourney. I sure hope it cools off before then...
    Tom Hankins
    Lake Fork Trophy Lures
    Whisker Seeker Tackle
    Moss Back Fish Rack
    Cumberland Crappie
    G3 Boats

Post Thanks / Like

I must say, "Thank you very much" for everyone who works to put this tourney together, I have ran golf, bowling, softball leagues and coached youth sports and I know it can suck the enjoyment out of participating in a heart beat. I have fished for 25 yrs and never fished in a tournament until this one. I really didn't think I would like it but, I have learned a ton, I have fished many lakes I would have never fished, Im an admitted workacholic and when I joined this club it gives me a great reason to GO FISHING, instead of working. My 12 yr old boy has enjoyed 2 tourneys with me this year along with my partner who shares my same feelings. I have a few more youngings coming up and hope the club keeps it kid friendly to share. This club will only get bigger and better. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Tanners Creek, Ohio River Tournament next year!?!? or this fall??? They have new ramps, docks and alot of parking. Even a spot for the weigh in! and not to mention big fish!!!! Thats my recommendation...

I look forward to meeting some of the teams, if not at Cataract, Brookville for sure!!!
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Ohio River would be neat to fish

Post Thanks / Like

How about few more tournaments in the northern half of state, just to name a few for example there is missy sally Roush shafer wawasee manitou maxinkuckee ect.. that may draw in a few new members including myself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast