Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which brand of line and what # test.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which brand of line and what # test.

Just curious to what everyones line choice is. Mine that I just started is PowerPro in the 10lb test/2lb dia. and the 14lb test/4lb dia. in the moss green. Been pretty happy with it so far, comes loose of brush very well without loosing the jig.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

i use mainly stren 4 and 6 lb test, a lot of it depends on the clarity of the lake. though i use stren the majority of the time i do use other lines. bps crappie line is very cheap in bulk and it also seems to be a pretty good line.
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"

Post Thanks / Like

Default I am trying to find a new line to use now

I used to fish with only Berkeley Trilene XL 4lb test fishing line for many years. This year I have tried the Ironsilk 6lb test line and have started using 6lb test Berkley XL line as well. Today I spooled on some Stren Low Visibilty Green in 6lb test. I also have my new Shimano 2000 Syncopate filled with 8lb test Ironsild simply because I could not find any 6lb test for a few weeks. I now have a new spool of 6lb test Ironsilk that I can use if I prefer.

I have a spool of Stren Magniflex that I am going to try also.

So far the Ironsilk in 6lb test has been working pretty good. I like the Stren low Visiblity Green line in 6lb test as well. It appears and feels and acts much line the Ironsilk 6lb test.

I have to fish with these new lines more to figure out which I prefer.

I fish so many different ways these days and a lot depends on if you are fishing deep water with the drop shot method or casting plain jigs or casting slip bobbers and jigs. Each line works better in differnet types of waters too.

The stripper pits that I have fished this summer are pretty stained and I can fish the green line Ironsilk without the fish being bothered by the line. Well lets put it this way... so far I have caught some good numbers of crappie. But who knows if I could have caught more or less crappie with a different line. I would have had to fish the two differnet lines side by side to make that determination.

I do know that the Berkeley XL 4lb test when old tends to have many line coils when it's been on a small diamter spool for a year. Even spraying the silicone Reel Magic on the line didn't help.

On an untralight open faced spinning reel the worst thing that can happen is for a coil of line to come off the arbor and mess up the cast. That happened to me three or four times today and I got pretty tired of having to retie on new slip bobbers, red beds bobber stops and new bobbers and jig heads. That takes too much time and it's hard to do when the boat is drifting all over the place in the high winds we had today.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Moose1am

Give the powerpro a try, its a little price but its nice. No memory and some strong stuff.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Moose,

I don't do much casting for crappie, but if I did I would use the same line that I have come back to year after year. I use Stren Low Vis now on ever real in my boat. 4lb strickly for crappie, 6 lb and up to 10 lb on bass. I did use the Berkly Iron thread while fishing for big bass back whenever i was guiding, and have caught them over 14 lbs on it. But no matter how I stack it up at one point or another I always spool back up with Stren.
    Hold My beer and watch this sheeet!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Moose, Doug's been having that problem, too

>>>On an untralight open faced spinning reel the worst thing that can happen is for a coil of line to come off the arbor and mess up the cast. <<<<

For Doug's birthday, I go him a new Mitchell Avocet UL reel and a 7' graphite rod to replace his old UL rig. I put 4# Trilene XL (which is what I use on my UL) on it and he has had fits with a bunch of coils peeling off the reel in mid-cast. It only takes a couple of casts like that to empty the spool. Saturday after that happened, I had him put on the spare spool that I had loaded with 6# Ironsilk. It may take a few times to see how that does.

We used to put 4# Trilene XT on our ULs all the time and didn't have that problem, but did have other issues. I don't have any problems with the XL, so I'm thinking it has to do with how he casts. Dunno.

I have 14# Ironsilk on my bass rig and love it. However, we're in trout mode now, so I have to put a 2 foot leader of clear line on it because of the high visual acuity of trout. Doug has 12# Sensation in the goldenrod color on his baitcasters, but he doesn't use them enough to give much of an opinion on the line. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Iron Silk also. It gives me virtually no trouble, I had the same problem with the Trilene XL on my UL.
    CohuttaCrappie
    "To catch fish, you gotta be on the fish!"

Post Thanks / Like

I've said it on here a time or two and I'll say it again, I will never buy another spool of Berkley Trilene. It's by far the worst line I have ever used. I prefer Stren hi-vis gold and Stren xtra strength. The only problem with the 6lb Stren extra strength is that if you hang up, you will pull even a big bass boat up over the fishing hole trying to free the hook, or you will pull your arm out of socket trying to break it. I like it because I can bend my hooks and not lose alot of line do to breakage. Sometimes I've spooked the fish, but they manage to move back in. Alot of people think I'm using real heavy lb test, but I'm not.

Post Thanks / Like

Default powerpro

Quote Originally Posted by TAE73
    Just curious to what everyones line choice is. Mine that I just started is PowerPro in the 10lb test/2lb dia. and the 14lb test/4lb dia. in the moss green. Been pretty happy with it so far, comes loose of brush very well without loosing the jig.
    Do you stil like this PowerPro line now that you have been using it for a while¿
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

My father-in-law got me started on the PLine and he has switched to PowerPro - he fishes saltwater only - I change my line every 6 months anyway but here lately I have been changing it every 2 months - I think most fisherman tend to put too much line on there ultra lights causing most of there problems with the line coming off - I think I am going to change all my casting rods to powerpro though -we will see what happens - if it don't break me up buying it -another good present for the wife here in a few weeks
    crap-king
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast