Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Please!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help Please!

Hello all, I'm new so hope I'm doing this right. I love to fish, there is nothing like being on the water, but I dont know much about it. I go to the lake at sun up and you can see the fish jumping but I can't get them to bite, any ideas? I have plastics but don't really know how to use them, I mainly use worms, corn, minnows, ect. if location maters I am in the panhandle of texas. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a boat or fishing from the bank? Are you just fishing or targeting a certain type of fish? Lakes you are fishing may also help.

Post Thanks / Like

on the quick trips I fish from the bank, long trips from a boat, I always have a catfish rod out, but with the ther rods I'm just trying to catch anything. I'm new to fishing so don't know much about it except I love it!

Post Thanks / Like

You have a PM.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Learn to read a depthfinder and find some brush, or other bottom structure that will hold a few fish. After that it's just experimentation and presentation. Plastics like we use do as well with no added movement as when they are jigged or retrieved at times. Welcome and just keep after it, and pay attention to the little things.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to CDC from Ne. If you like to use jigs than put one on and start casting towards were the fish are jumping. Use a 1-1/16th jig head and a curly tail and retrieve with a medium speed and try that for awhile. If nothing, than switch to a different type body and try for awhile. Just keep switching until you find what the fish want. Cast out and start your retrieve as soon as the jig hits the water. If no hits than cast again and let it drop to a count of 5 and retrieve it in. If no hits than cast it out again and let it drop to a count of 10 and retrieve it in. Keep doing this until you either catch a fish or hit the bottom of the lake.
    If you are using live bait than use a bobber and set it for 5 ft and cast out where the fish are jumping. You can use a spring bobber for up to twice the lenght of your rod. After that you need to use a slip bobber. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Hey relbac, just a suggestion. Try to figure the type of fish you want to fish for first, then concentrate all your efforts on that type of fish. There are different forums for other fish than Crappie at the bottom of the forum and State Forum page and there is some good reading on each species. Once you concentrate all your efforts to one type of fish for a while you will find it easier to know what to look for and what to ask. You should also look for a fishing partner in your area that is willing to teach you some. Ask at a bait shop to see if they know someone who might be interested in helping you. Don't be afraid to get on here and ask questions, lots of good folks on here willing to help. Good luck, Ferdi aka Fred

Post Thanks / Like

Keep an eye out for seasoned anglers, guys who look like they know what they are doing. Back off and watch what they are doing. Back at the ramp, ask them a few questions, as long as you don't crowd them or try to steal their honey holes, most fishermen are willing to help someone out. All of us got help from somebody along the way, we like to return the favor when we can.

Post Thanks / Like

If your throwing the kitchen sink at em', and not getting bit. Make sure your not throwing at baitfish. Its very common for baifish to swirl at the surface at sun up, in large schools.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    If your throwing the kitchen sink at em', and not getting bit. Make sure your not throwing at baitfish. Its very common for baifish to swirl at the surface at sun up, in large schools.
    He makes a good point. If there is a lot of small fish activity on the surface then it's likely baitfish, but if you're seeing decent sized fish then it's likely gamefish going after baitfish. If you can imitate those baitfish, then you will catch the gamefish. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast