Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: My New Project Boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default My New Project Boat

This is a 17 ft. Aluminum boat, it is bare. I am starting from scratch and am gonna attempt to convert it into more of a bass tracker boat. This is going to include decks, swivel seats, livewell, cooler, perhaps a console, but that may be stretching it. ANYWAYS, THERE ARE GUYS ON THIS BOARD THAT HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE, SO ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE WELCOMED!

Brian
    An Armed Society is a Polite Society, Manners are Good when One May Have to Back up his Acts with his Life-Robert A. Heinlein on the 2nd Amendment

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck that should be a great project. But wont it take out a lot of crappie fishing time? Can't wait to see it when it is done.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure the transom is good before you really get going on this!! I don't know how big that boat is but watch out so you don't get it top heavy. You wouldn't want to be sitting on a pedestal seat and lean and have the boat flip! :D

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about that and am looking to for some type of sway bar type deals to put on each side for balance, Rhino lining will be put on tomorrow or the next day!
    An Armed Society is a Polite Society, Manners are Good when One May Have to Back up his Acts with his Life-Robert A. Heinlein on the 2nd Amendment

Post Thanks / Like

I have a boat that I boughtlike yours last week. Thought about doing decks and all that comes with it. The guy that I bought the boat from put a pedestal seat in the front by putting a 24" X 24" plywood platform in the bottom of the boat. He simply screwed the board into the ribs of the boat. I sat in it and it is just fine. The problem with adding too much decking is that it makes the boat heavy and defeats the purpose of having a boat like ours. I'm running a 9.9 Johnson and I want to still be able to get up on plane when all the mods. are completed. Instead of adding all the weight and "money in wood and carpeting, I'm going to to get a gallon of Tuff Coat, Non- Skid Coating from Cabelas and paint the inside of the boat to deaden the sound. Although, my boat can't handle the rough open water, I will be able to go a lot of places other bigger boats can't. Other mods. I'm going to do is add those tackle trays that hold the Plano 377 boxes. This will help keep gear in it's rightful place. I think you can make a livewell out of that middle seat with a little work. Just some suggestions to think about. I'll try to send some pics of my boat and update them when I make mods. I am in no way saying you shuoldn't do any of the things you suggested.

Post Thanks / Like

This looks like a good project to me. Good luck

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

May find some help here.

http://www.myjonboat.com/
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff