Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig Hook Size?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig Hook Size?

Guys I am preparing to order some jig heads and would like your recommendations on the best size sickle hook for each head. Also do you prefer a different size hook for a 1/32 jig/fly and a 1/32 jig with a grub?
    1/64?
    1/32?
    1/24?
    1/16?

Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a few things to consider before making your decision. Some hooks, like the sickle hooks will run a little larger and have a bigger gap than Eagle Claw or Gamakatzu. I use a variety when making my jigs. For casting, I usually use a #2 Eagle Claw and #2 Gamakatzu and a #4 sickle hook for most of my 1/16th & 1/32 oz. jigs.

For tightlining, I make some in the same sizes as mentioned above but usually downsize and use a #4 Eagle Claw & Gamakatzu and #6 sickle hook for 1/8th, 1/16, & 1/32 oz. I haven't made any 1/64th oz. but would downsize once again to either a #6 or #8. Smaller hooks will sometimes help you fish brush a little easier wehn tightling because it is easier to work thru the brush.

Keep in mind what you're fishing for will determine the size gap you want to use. Bluegill & shellcracker will usually do better with a smaller hook. You can still catch crappie on small hooks but most would prefer a bigger gap for their bigger mouths.

I usually prefer a bigger gap with a grub. You might want to buy a few different sizes from guys on this site and see what works for you. There are several here who make excellent products (much better selection than you find in most sporting goods stores) If you are just starting out, be careful of eliminating your choices before giving them a fair chance. I use a lot of different hooks and sizes today that 3 or 4 years back, I would have never thought of using. Now they are my go to hook sizes to use for specific situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help Bronson.