Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: shovelnose sturgeon

Post Thanks / Like

Default shovelnose sturgeon

I got a tip about a hot shovelnose sturgeon bite and I plan to give them a try just cause I have never caught one before... Is it okay to keep them or is C&R required? I would like to keep ONE if it is legal. I got the impression that it is unlawful to keep a pallid sturgeon, but I couldn't find anything about the shovelnose, except for information about how to tell the difference. However, based on the info I found about their respective ranges, catching a pallid sturgeon shouldn't be an issue. Thanks in advance.
    I am just pullin' your leg.:D

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Taxi View Post
    I got a tip about a hot shovelnose sturgeon bite and I plan to give them a try just cause I have never caught one before... Is it okay to keep them or is C&R required? I would like to keep ONE if it is legal. I got the impression that it is unlawful to keep a pallid sturgeon, but I couldn't find anything about the shovelnose, except for information about how to tell the difference. However, based on the info I found about their respective ranges, catching a pallid sturgeon shouldn't be an issue. Thanks in advance.
    Fish Taxi,

There are no length or creel limits for shovelnose sturgeon so it would be legal to harvest them. A 25-inch shovelnose sturgeon is eligible for a Kansas Master Angler Award.

The main thing would be proper identification of the fish to be sure it is not a pallid sturgeon which is listed as an endangered species in Kansas. It sounds like you have already found the ID info which can be found on Page 36 of the 2011 Kansas Fishing Regulations Summary. (The Master Angler Award Application is on Page 37)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Craig. That confirms what I thought, but better safe than sorry.
    I am just pullin' your leg.:D