Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roadrunners

Post Thanks / Like

Default Roadrunners

I fish with anything i can so i can find the things that work the best but ive never ever done any good on roadrunners of any kind i can throw a regular jig and catch fish and throw a roadrunner the same color and nothing? what is the best conditions/ways to fish em?

Post Thanks / Like

S-L-O-W, when you think you are fishing it slow, slow down some more. It doesn't take to much speed to make the blade turn. most people fish it to fast. Slower the better as they always say. Some fish it under a float so they can make it slower. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eager beaver View Post
    s-l-o-w, when you think you are fishing it slow, slow down some more. It doesn't take to much speed to make the blade turn. Most people fish it to fast. Slower the better as they always say. Some fish it under a float so they can make it slower. Eb
    x2
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Roadrunners are not a favorite of mine, either. I try and try with them but never have much luck compared to my old stand-byes. Maybe one day I'll be like the posters above and get enough patience to fish them the right way. Until then, they sit untouched in the ol' tacklebox.
    Eric W.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eager beaver View Post
    s-l-o-w, when you think you are fishing it slow, slow down some more. It doesn't take to much speed to make the blade turn. Most people fish it to fast. Slower the better as they always say. Some fish it under a float so they can make it slower. Eb
    x3

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    S-L-O-W, when you think you are fishing it slow, slow down some more. It doesn't take to much speed to make the blade turn. most people fish it to fast. Slower the better as they always say. Some fish it under a float so they can make it slower. EB
    x4 SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
    get in, sit down, shut up and fish

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I longline 12 rods and usually have a couple roadrunners in the spread. Some days they catch a good many, other days nothing. Alot of times the big fish comes off a roadrunner.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Force yourself to fish with them and keep fishing them, slow is the key as has been said.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Hmmmm .....

I don't know why you guys aren't catching Crappie on RR's

I cast & troll them .. usually from prespawn thru the Fall. And though I do have them in various weights, rigged with plastics, and the jighead alone (to use with whatever plastics I prefer) ... most of my success with them has come from the 1/16oz marabou (solid Chartreuse version). I cut the tail feathers off, halfway between the end of the feathers & the hook bend .... as this helps eliminate some of the bites from small Bluegill, that like to nip at the long tail feathers (but hasn't seemed to prevent the Crappie from considering biting it).

It's the only bait I've used, that I've seen Crappie actually chase down to hit (right beside the boat, in clear/slightly stained water). Thumbs Up

I generally use it in water depths of less than 12ft. And that's true whenever I use it ... prespawn to early Summer, they're usually in that <12ft depth range -- in Summer, I'm fishing it in the early part of the day & in shaded waters -- in Fall, I'm using it "less", but will go to using it if I'm contacting fish above submerged cover in that depth range.

In sheer numbers ... I'd have to say that my tally of Crappie caught would be down by ~ 1/2 ... if I discount all the Crappie caught on a Roadrunner Doh That's the main reason I have a rod/reel dedicated to fishing a RR, that always goes along with me on any Crappie fishing trip. Hands Clapping

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Rr

They won me my 1st tourney this year.

I made another post about them somewhere.
    I called it "Give 'em want they want or what they Hate".
    I was flippin' a RR the day before the tourney and got hit so hard it almost took the rod out of my hand.
    we knew we were on to something when it happened each time.
    They hated that thing swimming through their beds and attacked it so at least during bedding this is a winner thing to do.
    Thumbs Up
    Last edited by BigMack; 07-14-2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: spellin' again

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast