Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tandem rigs - anyone besides me notice this....?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tandem rigs - anyone besides me notice this....?

Last year started using tandem rigs - drop shot style - except using a jig instead of a weight on the leader. Both baits would be small and usually the same - soft plastic minnows - one nose hooked above the jig hooked bait. The weirdest thing was that even with the spacing of 1-2' between baits, the bottom bait was usually hit and the top bait left untouched. Doubles were rare or nonexistent.

How many of you fish tandem rigs and have you noticed the same thing?
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 07-13-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say that I have noticed that with my rigs. I use a tandem rig to tell me where the fish are at. If I catch the first ones on the bottom rig, I lower all of them another foot and see what happens. If my few ones are on the top one I raise all lines up a foot. My idea is to balance the rigs amongst the fish. I get lots of doubles when I use this system.

Post Thanks / Like

that is pretty common, happens all the time to me, but that is why we use double or tripple jigs, cover more up and down water that way,,,, sometimes them fish is just to perticular..

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Bombfixer. I use tandem rigs to get a feel on how deep the fish. But I also use them to see what jig color they prefer. Most of the time, I would change the jig color o f another rig to the one that the fish are hitting to see if the fish are that deep or if they are keying on that particular jig color. Once I figure out the adjustments that are needed, I usually catch fish until the bite stops.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I always use a double jig rig. I have a stickie on this forum "Knots and rigs for beginners." You can fish different depths in the water column with differing colors and sizes. A lot of times the bottom lure is hit first just because the fish see it first falling through the water. Many times I get a double hitter too.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.