Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spider riggng question

Post Thanks / Like

Default spider riggng question

Ok I've noticed on here most of you say when spider rigging and your going slow, slow down even more. My problem with this is I can't seem to cover much ground when searching for fish. So how slow is slow?

Post Thanks / Like

if you can feel the boat moving slow down some more. sometimes.05 mph is better than .5 mph
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Wind permitting .01- .02.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

X2 with Mr. Jim.

I keep an eye on my lines. If it appears that the line on the outside 2 are swept back very slightly, I usually figure I'm about the right speed. I do speed up a little sometimes if I'm trying to find fish in different depths, etc. Some days they seem to want a faster presentation too. You just gotta play with it to find what works for you. Even going slow you are covering a lot of water by having multiple rods out.

Post Thanks / Like

This is personally, but I like it about .4-.6. That way I am covering a little more water, but I feel like I've shown the fish the bait(s). That being said, I'm not opposed to running up close to structure and letting it sit for a few seconds. As long as you're working fishy areas, there's no need to go too fast.

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember you are covering 24 - 30 ft.wide also!!!!
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

I know that everyone says to go slow, but if the fish do not want it that slow, I don't go slow. We've been catching more fish from ~.8-1.2 mph. I like it that way too. You get your bait in front of a lot more fish, active fish. Just my opinion. If you're trying to fish a specific brushpile spider rigging, then that's different. You don't want to blow by there, you want your bait in front of your target area for as long as you can keep it there. I get it. That's not how I am fishing. I am fishing flats or along breaklines. I may be completely wrong and your mileage may vary. Rofl I am also not fishing very deep. I rarely have my baits set deeper than 6' or so. If someone can inform me as to why I should be fishing slower, when I am catching more fish going faster, I am all ears. Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

I go a little faster when searching for cover then slow to zero in the cover and work it. Lots of lakes don't have much cover, and some times the fish do want it moving more. Maybe it's a reaction strike when going faster. I usually like 0-.7 depending on the fish and the type of cover I find. Any faster than that then I'm long lining.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not trying to argue with you guys because I know nothing but what I've learned from ya'll on this sight about spider rigging, but I do know a little math and at .01 mph in 6 hours is only about 100 yards in 6 hrs of fishing. What am I missing? I understand if you new the lake and right where the crappie were that might be ok, but when your trying to find the crappie that isn't much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRiverMarine View Post
    I go a little faster when searching for cover then slow to zero in the cover and work it. Lots of lakes don't have much cover, and some times the fish do want it moving more. Maybe it's a reaction strike when going faster. I usually like 0-.7 depending on the fish and the type of cover I find. Any faster than that then I'm long lining.
    That's what I'm assuming, BRM.

mb, I would assume that to be a typo? I am thinking it should be .1 My FF only shows the tenth of a mph.

I dont think anyone is wanting to argue, or at least I'm not. I welcome opportunities to learn something. I, like you, have always heard you can't spider rig too slow. I don't know why, maybe an attempt to stress guys to slow down when fishing brush, I don't know. Or maybe I'm not using the actual color/bait that they really want and I can only catch the fish that get caught on a reaction bite. Either way, I'm catching enough to keep me in fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast