Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: small irrigation system for your garden

Post Thanks / Like

Default small irrigation system for your garden

has any one ever used PVC pipe to make an irigation system for your garden im thinking about using 3/4" PVC pipe and using a very small drill bit to make the weep holes and im thinking about staggering them and so they will shoot water at about a 20-45 degree angle in the top of the pipe but my question is that how many holes do i need to install and is a #40 drill bit small enough or too big and how about the pipe do i need to use a small size pipe or is 3/4" ok

if yall have any suggestion i want to hear them or better yet a pic would work too

im wanting to make one for watering my garden so i dont have to stand there and water it my self and i have most of the stuff to do it with just lacking a couple of fitting and thats it
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

why not just use the pop up spray heads used for yards/lawns. If you don't want to spray, how about the soak hoses available at Lowes or HD? Not real sure of your objective here.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

3/4" inch PVC would be cheaper, but difficult to regulate Josh. Too many variables; size of holes, water pressure, size of area to be irrigated, etc........etc....... But if you like to experiment, it can be done. How about doing an irrigation system with tubing? Or like jimp mentioned; soaker hose?

AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.

Post Thanks / Like

If your just doing a garden I would go with the soaker hose. You can even buy a cheap timer to put on your faucet so you don't even have to go turn it on and off. At Lowes, $14.98 gets you 75 feet of soaker hose and $28 get's you a battery powered timer. Done... and it looks a little nicer than PVC pipe laying around.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

If you go with the pvc use adjustable fluid outlets,,, like the ones for crop sprayers, each one is adjustable so you can turn the water up high but adj the outlets to your desired flow rate,,, I get mine at racebrothers farm/feed store, so I'm sure there is a store like that in your area.

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up going with a soaker hose it works well

Josh
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing