Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lowrance 334 - Maps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lowrance 334 - Maps

Just bought the Lowrance 334. Need advice on which maps are best - fish mainly Ky Lake, Percy Priest and Old Hickory Lake. Also, anyone with the 334 - any tips for a beginner would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Hot Spots Elite,,Southern section. I have it on my 332c. Very good! <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Hutchsj Guest

Would the Kentucky Hydrografx work in the 334? Is it a card you slide in - or is it a manual input? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased a 334 also. I've noticed that the buttons on the right side of the unit are flush with the case and the ones on the left side stand out like they should. Has anyone else had this problem? They seem to work fine other than the looks. I also bought the hot spots elite southern map but noticed there is an upgrade for some lakes already, does this take some other program to download this on the hot spots chip? Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it will. Kentucky Hydrografx maps work with OziExplorer Software and Windows OS on the Personal Computer. The KH maps won't show up on the other gps units unless you have a laptop computer.

You may be able to look at the KY Hydrografx maps and get longitude and latitude numbers for waypoints and then transfer those waypoints into your GPS. That may be done manually.

There is a program called EasyGPS that may help in this process. I don't use EasyGPS myself so I am not sure exactly what it does.

KY Hydrografx CD's come with the Shareware version of OziExplorer but you may need the retail version of OziExplorer to really calibate the maps accurately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutchsj
    Would the Kentucky Hydrografx work in the 334? Is it a card you slide in - or is it a manual input? Thanks.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information. I wonder if the information on the Hydrografx is worth the manual labor as opposed to the Elite - where you just slide the card in and go.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my 2 cents:
    The Kentucky Hydrografx maps with the Sidescanning data are some of the best fishing maps I have seen todate. There are limitations on any map due to the accuracy limits of non survey grade gps units.

If you fish Kentucky lake a lot then get the Kentucy Hydrografx maps and learn to read them. Just take some good spots and get the latitude and longitude of the spots from the map on the comptuer screen. Input that into your gps and then go out on the lake and find that spot. drop a bouy and motor around to get your bearings and get a mental picture of what's below the boat. The KY Hydrografx sidescans should show you where the stumps and other brush piles are located and with some time searching the general area you should be able to pinpoint those structures and see if there are any fish on them.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks - I think that's exactly what I will do.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to BPS this evening to purchase the Elite. I asked the guy what he suggested for Ky Lake. He said the Navionics was much better than the Elite. He said the Elite cut off around the Big Sandy area - but the Navionics went straight thru the whole area. Can anyone verify this? Thanks.