Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Hurricane Lake - Henry Gray Mgt. Area

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Hurricane Lake - Henry Gray Mgt. Area

Need some info if any can provide any. My wife was talking to someone recently who told her he slay's them at Big Hurricane Lake in the Henry Gray Management Area near Bald Knob. On the map it looks like there's a series of small lakes there, Big Hurricane being the largest.

Has anyone ever fished this area? Good results? Also, I see on the map there are several ramps in the area -- mostly Game and Fish owned. Are they in good condition? Looks like we are Bald Knob bound Saturday and hate to drive all the way over there from Little Rock only to find the ramps in such bad shape I can't launch my boat (16 ft flat bottom).

Any information or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a great area to fish. The only problem are the yoyo's. Some of the lake are only a few acres and may have 400 yoyo's in them. Nobody to enforce the rules on yoyo's so they catch all they can. But if you can go down on a week day you should be able to catch some nice fish.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

Ramps are in good shape, Big Hurricane is the next to the last lake in the refuge. Turn left off of Hwy 64 out of Bald Knob. Follow road into refuge, road will turn into gravel. Follow gravel rd about 4 miles to a T. This will be Whirl Lake, turn left go across metal bridge across spillway and continue on gravel rd for about anouther 2-3 mi. Big Hurricane will be on your left and is the only lake that can be seen from the main road with the exception of Whirl which you have already passed. At times the fishing can be pretty good, I fish a private lake across the river from the refuge, about the same depth and found crappie up on the Tupelo trees tight against them Sunday. Until then I was catching them on the outside edge of stick-ups. But last trip the quality fish were tight against the big trees. If there not biting there try Mallard Pond or Honey Lake. I 've done well there many times. Black and chartruse are hard to beat. There are two bait shops down there with minnows, I would stop at the white store across from the wardens house, they seem to be more generous with #'s and make a fine burger too.
    Good luck.
    3GD

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. 3grls, I assume Big Hurricane, Mallard and Honey lakes are all close proximity. This guy said if you don't catch any in one, just pull your boat and move to another. I'm not enamored with unoading and loading my boat multiple times on one trip.

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea they are all right there together. There are 7 lakes with ramps and Glaise creek right there in the refuge. It is about 14,000 acres in size. Each small gravel road off of the main road leads to a lake. The first road to the right leads to Honey Lake, the lake at the T is Whirl, if you turn right at the T you can put in on the red river, or continue on the road to Mallard Pond. If you go left at the T the first road to the left leads to Big Bell Lake thru which you can access Little Bell if water is up enough. Also thru Big Hurricane you can access Little Hurricane if the water is up. Passed Big Hurricane on the road is Willlow Pond, this is the end of the road and the far north end of the refuge. Glaise creek is also big enough to put your boat in and fishes well at times. All these lakes are within a 2-3 square mile area. Lots of options. Take some crickets if the crappie aren't biting you can probably get into a mess af big bream. Oh,there is a very good map across from the refuge headquarters on the left just passed the white store and before the big paved parking area.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to a map of the refuse.
    http://www.agfc.com/wma_lakes/low_re...yHurricane.pdf

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

Are all these lakes decent for fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I couldn't say one was better or worse than another. Some are bigger than others, but they all recieve flood water when the white gets up. Which it hasn't this year, but was in there last year from Nov-Mar. I have had good luck at Honey and Mallard pond, but I fish them most. Honey is the first lake you come to and Mallard is behind it. It is worth the time, really nice place.I have grown up hunting and fishing there and always enjoy myself. Good luck.
    3GD

Post Thanks / Like

3girsdad - really appreciate your good information about this area. I feel really comfortable about giving it a try. Unless the weather does something weird my wife and I will be making an early run over there Saturday.

Again, thanks a million.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

i am going to get up there soon too, i knew there was a big lake there but i did not know there were the others, that is my kind of fishing....lake jumping

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast