Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boat question

Post Thanks / Like

Default boat question

Hope this is in the right place. I am in Missouri. Anyhow, I have a 2001 tracker boat. I have taken great care of it, but this season it is acting up. It starts right up and cruises out past the bouys just like normal. When I go to plane, it does just fine. In fact, it will cruise fine for 3 or 4 minutes. Then it simply bogs down. It slows down and bogs like I'm trying to pull a skier out of the water or something. When I push the button to idsengage the transmition, it revs fine up to high rpms, but then again, when I try to get up to plane, it just bogs down. Anyone know why this could be happening? I was at Smithville saturday and ran an entire gas tank through her with carb cleaner, and it didn't make any difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, it is a 50 horse motor, two stroke. It isn't smoking wierd or anything like that either.
    Thanks guys.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am no boat mechanic by any means but their are several on here with a lot of knowledge about them. I had just the opposite last year with mine. It did not want to idle when I would first put it in gear. Seemed tonget worse as the day would go on last summer in the heat. It would be fine as long as I gave it more throttle. Would jump on plane and run out the same speeds that it always did but was just hard to keep it in gear and idle slow. So would have to throttle up and idle in and out of coves at around 5.5-6 mph. I put new NGK plugs and still had the problem. Had a guy help me and we put a can of Seafoam in a half gallon of gas and ran through it for about 30 seconds and then shut it off for a few minutes to soak and repeated that about 7-8 times. Took a while but did the trick. I guess if was carbon build up. Mine was on a 175 EFI Mercury. Someone will chime in on here and help you out.

Post Thanks / Like

mine did that it was a bummer, still don't know if I got it fixed for sure but last three times it ran ok,,,, changed the fule line, ran double strength stabil marine formula in the first two tanks of gas, also had a hose with a small crack in it. loose wiring on start/run battery. mine would take off fine, idle fine, but once on plane crusing at 25mph it would loose RPMs go from 55hundred to 14 hundred, done this several times,,,, after I put the staybil marine formula in it I took it on a full gas tank run, ran all the gas out, filled it up next trip ran it several long runs, so far so good,,,, good luck

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go ahead and change the plugs too. Sounds lkike the ethanol has done it's do to the carbs. That ethanol is nothing but trouble for boat motors.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I you're around Smithville I know a great guy who could maybe fix ya up. Shoot me a PM for his number. Everyone I've sent to him has been pleased! Good Luck!

Fuel Pump?

Post Thanks / Like

Try Bassboatcentral also. Search the forum for your engine type you may find similar problems and fixes there.
    2014 Crappie Masters Mark Twain Champion
    2 time CDC Truman Lake series points champion

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys. I'm gonna try changing plugs and running some cleaner through it and changing the fuel filter and go from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Sea foam is some awsome stuff. I would try that first and change the plugs while your at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Typically if u can time it and it happens constantly at the same time, your motor is overheating.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast