Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: It's great when it all comes together!

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's great when it all comes together!

Last weekend was a real eye opener for me when it came to crappie fishing. A little history on my fishing experience: I grew up in Florida about 2 minutes away from the ocean and all I ever fished was salt water until I came up to Georgia and went to college. Life happens, I grew up, got married, got a job, had kids, etc. and fishing was put on the back burner until two years ago. I got involved as a den leader in my son's Cub Scout group and we started fishing on trips, etc. It then turned into a family thing and we now go every chance we get. The wife and I would fish for bass and the kids would fish for bluegill and whatever else would bite their line. I then started fishing a couple of private ponds that had some crappie and now it's what I prefer.

Fast forward to this last weekend when I stumbled across a school of crappie in semi-deep water fishing from the bank. I was fishing 4 lb test on a Microlite rod and Shakespeare reel. I got so "in tune" with how this rod feels that I was catching crappie on every cast. Every bite felt like I had just dragged the jighead through some grass and was feeling a slight resistance on the line. I would then jerk the rod and set the hook. I had read in the past about watching the line go slack, etc. but never experienced that. This felt exactly like I was getting hung in light weeds.

So, 30 fish later, we gave up and came home with a few big redear and about 8 crappie we fried up. We also caught 4 bass in the 2.5 range but they went back in the pond, too. It was the best fishing trip we've had in a long time.

(I posted this pic in the panfish section because of the redear, but it fits with this post too)

Name:  008.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  48.2 KB

Have a great week, everyone. Just wanted to share in my epiphany!
    Eric W.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! were you using a curlytail?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice haul

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great story! Glad you found the fish. I bet they'll taste good too. Congrats.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wvsportsman View Post
    Nice! were you using a curlytail?
    Yep. That's basically the only thing I fish. :D They were biting a pink/white 2 inch and a pumpkinseed 1 inch curly tail.
    Eric W.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report. Nice catch. Well done.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great catch, and good job paying attention. Making the cast, counting down, and beginning the retrieve will get you into different levels of the water column. As the fish move around this may help. Keep it up.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around