Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Newb questions -- take it easy on me

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newb questions -- take it easy on me

What does a spider rig consist of??

also, what size cranks do you guys troll with for crappie??

Lastly, What's a good trolling speed?? (As slow as the boat goes in gear?)

Post Thanks / Like

When I troll I use mostly cranks that run at depths of 6-12'. Trolling Speed of 1.4-1.7mph has been best for me. I have never spider rigged so I will let someone else help you with that.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

js, not too up on all of it...but a spider rig is 4,6,8 or more poles in holders fishing off the front of the bota pushing jigs and/or minnows. The fishing poles are generally set along a 180 degree circle off the front of the boat.

I never pull cranks but I'm gonna guess most ae using bandit 200 and 300 lures.

I've read where the better trolling speeds for cranks is between 1.2-2 mph. Unless you have a trolling plate and 4 cycle motor you'll be replying on your trolling motor to get the job done. Without a trolling plate or a small kicker motor the bigger motors are gonna push you around 2.5mph (or faster). If youre pulling/pushing jigs most people will tell ya to troll around .8-1.2 mph.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jsawyer1987 View Post
    What does a spider rig consist of??

also, what size cranks do you guys troll with for crappie??

Lastly, What's a good trolling speed?? (As slow as the boat goes in gear?)

Do a search for Midwest Crappie. You can see and hear first hand some great info about pulling cranks, long line trolling road runners, and slow vertical trolling-spider riggging. It helps to see what they are doing as well as they tell you.

Post Thanks / Like

listen to dongotto watch them videos, and there is a nice pulling cranks 101 on the Mississippi board, check it out,

Post Thanks / Like

yup, check out the thread beagle mentioned. that's how I got started trolling cranks. I use wiggle warts, bandits, and rapala shad raps. works great!
    when I spider rig, I don't have all my rods up front, like some guys do. we just line one side of the boat with poles and then slowly make our way around timber or along a bluff. I just use a 1/8oz jig, whatever jig body you like and a minner set however deep the fish are on my graph.

Post Thanks / Like

Model A Bombers fill the box for me and they can be purchased on Ebay very reasonably, if you buy the multiple lots of used lures. The 1/4 oz is my favorite. The fish will tell you the rest............ Speed and Color.
    When spidering remember to put your name and address on each rod, to be legal, if you are using more than 3 poles. I use return address labels then coat them with clear nail polish. Have fun

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta get a boat before I can try these techniques. I'm very intrigued by them though.. Never been trolling but really wanna give it a try. Might be looking to buy a boat in the very near future.

Post Thanks / Like

sportsmans outlet in springfield has a huge pile of 1/4oz model A in a variety of colors for $1.99

Quote Originally Posted by inaboat View Post
    Model A Bombers fill the box for me and they can be purchased on Ebay very reasonably, if you buy the multiple lots of used lures. The 1/4 oz is my favorite. The fish will tell you the rest............ Speed and Color.
    When spidering remember to put your name and address on each rod, to be legal, if you are using more than 3 poles. I use return address labels then coat them with clear nail polish. Have fun

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how close you are to Truman but I could take you out for a few hours and show you how I slow troll minnow and jig rigs. I run 8 B'n'M 12ft rods up front in Hi-Tec rod holders. I pretie double minnow rigs with a 3/8oz weight and wrap them around pipe insulation for easy storage. Same thing with jigs except I use and 1/8 oz on top and a 1/4 oz on bottom. Both setups have a barrel swivel attached to the top and are tied on 6 or 8 lb test line. I use Quantum Optix reels spooled with 12 lb hi-vis stren mono. When you get hung up the leader will break off. Just unwrap a pretied leader and attach it to the snap swivel on the main line and you are fishing again. I make the minnow and jig rigs both in 3/8 oz so I can use both at the same time and have the rods set the same way and see what they want that day. If i switch to all jig rigs I do not have to adjust rod height bcause the weight is the same as my minnow rigs. Hope this helps. Fire away with any questions on here. Lots of great guys width great knowledge to help you out when you need it.