Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: smithville walleye

Post Thanks / Like

Default smithville walleye

Has anybody had any luck up at smithville for walleye?

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't gone out to specifically target walleye at Smithville yet this year. Haven't heard anything to really pass on, either.

Post Thanks / Like

Been several times for walleye, I use floating crawler harnesses 50' back with a 2 oz clamp on weight to keep contact with bottom on main lake points with steep drops fish stay on the edge chartrause and lime green work best for me I make my own. Windier the better 20 mi. and up troll 1.4 mph

Post Thanks / Like

Great info there, catkilr. How far up from the crawler rig do you clamp your 2oz weight?

Post Thanks / Like

you could say I have "some" walleye in the freezer from this year at Smithville. Has not been as good as last year, but none the less they still are there.

Post Thanks / Like

hey joedog let out 50' of line then clamp on your weight I use a 2oz and stay next to bottom this will keep the crawler runnig horizontal with the bottom and with the heavy weight it is easier to stay on bottom when contour changes windie conditions fish will be shallower not so windy I will fish 15 to 20' on edges,when it is very windy I use my trolling motor to keep nose in right diriction to keep from getting blown in circles ,hope this helps good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catkilr View Post
    hey joedog let out 50' of line then clamp on your weight I use a 2oz and stay next to bottom this will keep the crawler runnig horizontal with the bottom and with the heavy weight it is easier to stay on bottom when contour changes windie conditions fish will be shallower not so windy I will fish 15 to 20' on edges,when it is very windy I use my trolling motor to keep nose in right diriction to keep from getting blown in circles ,hope this helps good luck
    Maybe I'm not reading this right, or have just never fished that way, but the 2 oz. weight is actually 50 feet from the harness?

Post Thanks / Like

yes my clamp on weights are alligator clips with a hole punched in one side then attach a split ring then tie on your weight when you hook up reel to weight unclamp and bring in fish , my clamps have electrical shrink wrap on them as not to damage line. letting out 50 ft fish wont be as spooked as on top of them. I learned this from a guide while trolling for walleye in green bay

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for explaining that .. I've never heard of it, but will have to give it a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catkilr View Post
    I learned this from a guide while trolling for walleye in green bay
    Well if it came out of Green Bay, there can't be anything wrong with that! It *must* be gospel!!

Oh...and...by the way...GO PACK GO!! Thumbs UpHands ClappingThumbs Up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast