PDA

View Full Version : smithville walleye

Brock S
07-10-2011, 11:25 PM
Has anybody had any luck up at smithville for walleye?

Joedog
07-11-2011, 08:08 AM
I haven't gone out to specifically target walleye at Smithville yet this year. Haven't heard anything to really pass on, either.

catkilr
07-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Been several times for walleye, I use floating crawler harnesses 50' back with a 2 oz clamp on weight to keep contact with bottom on main lake points with steep drops fish stay on the edge chartrause and lime green work best for me I make my own. Windier the better 20 mi. and up troll 1.4 mph

Joedog
07-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Great info there, catkilr. How far up from the crawler rig do you clamp your 2oz weight?

LeeinMo
07-12-2011, 11:40 AM
you could say I have "some" walleye in the freezer from this year at Smithville. Has not been as good as last year, but none the less they still are there.

catkilr
07-12-2011, 01:22 PM
hey joedog let out 50' of line then clamp on your weight I use a 2oz and stay next to bottom this will keep the crawler runnig horizontal with the bottom and with the heavy weight it is easier to stay on bottom when contour changes windie conditions fish will be shallower not so windy I will fish 15 to 20' on edges,when it is very windy I use my trolling motor to keep nose in right diriction to keep from getting blown in circles ,hope this helps good luck

billd2626
07-12-2011, 03:57 PM
hey joedog let out 50' of line then clamp on your weight I use a 2oz and stay next to bottom this will keep the crawler runnig horizontal with the bottom and with the heavy weight it is easier to stay on bottom when contour changes windie conditions fish will be shallower not so windy I will fish 15 to 20' on edges,when it is very windy I use my trolling motor to keep nose in right diriction to keep from getting blown in circles ,hope this helps good luck

Maybe I'm not reading this right, or have just never fished that way, but the 2 oz. weight is actually 50 feet from the harness?

catkilr
07-12-2011, 10:53 PM
yes my clamp on weights are alligator clips with a hole punched in one side then attach a split ring then tie on your weight when you hook up reel to weight unclamp and bring in fish , my clamps have electrical shrink wrap on them as not to damage line. letting out 50 ft fish wont be as spooked as on top of them. I learned this from a guide while trolling for walleye in green bay

billd2626
07-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks for explaining that .. I've never heard of it, but will have to give it a shot.

Joedog
07-13-2011, 02:14 PM
I learned this from a guide while trolling for walleye in green bay

Well if it came out of Green Bay, there can't be anything wrong with that! It *must* be gospel!!

Oh...and...by the way...GO PACK GO!! Thumbs UpHands ClappingThumbs Up

jsawyer1987
07-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Well if it came out of Green Bay, there can't be anything wrong with that! It *must* be gospel!!

Oh...and...by the way...GO PACK GO!! Thumbs UpHands ClappingThumbs Up

..... GO CHIEFS!!!.... Hands ClappingThumbs UpHands Clapping

catkilr
07-13-2011, 03:43 PM
caught an 8 and a 10 lb and several 21 to 24 inchers and brought home 3 possesion limits

vic n
07-13-2011, 06:53 PM
I just can't picture this weight in my mind, so I did a google search....I can't upload the pic I saw, but it looked like a weight that had an alligator clip molded right to it....then the clamps would clamp around the line, but I can't see any way to stop the weight from slipping all the way back to the bait harness. Is there a swivel to clamp onto located at the 50' point on the line? And if so, do you use a swivel that will slip through the eyelets on the rod?

shelldecoy
07-14-2011, 05:47 PM
The clip that holds the weight to the line is an aligator style clip.Instead of teeth the clip it has pads on it and along with a tight spring it will hold the clip to line.Thus making a clip that will hold to the line and making no need for a swivel. I use them all the time.

vic n
07-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Gotcha, thanks! Never seen one like that, but now I know they are out there!

shelldecoy
07-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Cabelas has them. I order mine on line

catkilr
07-19-2011, 09:46 AM
hey vic sorry for the delay in getting back to you , been at taneycomo , shelldecoy is right, if you cant find them I get electical shrink wrap and put 2 layers on my clips it wont damage line and wont slip thanks for the help shelldecoy

eyecatcher
07-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Crawlers are always a good go to weapon, but I've been having some fair success trolling a larger(not sure on weight as Ive had it so long) solid white rattle trap. Oh, and if you wanna try crawlers I suggest dragging a lindy rig with a crawler, but using a circle hook and sticking the whole(or half it its long) crawler on the hook wacky style. That has been working decently at smithville this year. Cant comment on exact depths and which flats or structure though as Ive been hammering whites for the last couple weeks. If I go after some eyes in the next week Ill post my findings.

STL Crappie Nightmare
07-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Eyecatcher, do you ever troll crankbaits this time of year for walleye on Smithville?

eyecatcher
07-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Stl, yes. If I were to go out this week for example, id definately take a rod with a crankbait on it for trolling. Id want it to be a shad rap or cordell wally diver, depending on what depth. Shad color, or white/chart Likely I would troll a crank on each side of the boat. Wally diver on one, shad rap the other, experiement with sizes of rap. Troll around the long flat points going deeper each pass until you get off the break and into deep water, then on to the next point. The wally diver will bounce bottom on lots of the flat points while most shad raps will stay shallower, covering all the water you can. By no means a pro but that's something I like to do in summer. I really like trolling 1~2 hours before sunrise and after sunset.

Edit: don't neglet deeper water too :) jig with a gulp or trigger x minnow.

catkilr
07-20-2011, 04:51 PM
sounds like you know what yoy are doing eyecatcher If I am by myself I uasually use 1 rod with crawlers If there are 2 of us I will run 4 rods 2 crawlers 2 wally divers or thunder stick jrs can,t handle too many by myseif

eyecatcher
07-20-2011, 05:08 PM
sounds like you know what yoy are doing eyecatcher If I am by myself I uasually use 1 rod with crawlers If there are 2 of us I will run 4 rods 2 crawlers 2 wally divers or thunder stick jrs can,t handle too many by myseif Thats a good approach. Hopefully smithvilles walleye fishing matures in the next few years. Ill probably be targeting some eyes this weekend ill post a report for y'all.

STL Crappie Nightmare
07-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Thats a good approach. Hopefully smithvilles walleye fishing matures in the next few years. Ill probably be targeting some eyes this weekend ill post a report for y'all.

I hope you can make it out, I'll be looking forward to reading your report.

catkilr
07-22-2011, 01:17 PM
looks like there are a lot of people interested in smithville according to the views, hope my input helps good luck to everybody

eyecatcher
07-22-2011, 04:21 PM
looks like there are a lot of people interested in smithville according to the views, hope my input helps good luck to everybody I should be out around 430 am tomorrow for a few hours. Taking girlfriend and dad so not sure how serious ill be able to get. I'll try a few things for some eyes until about 7 when the whites turn on. Ill post my results. Let me know if you go out anytime soon and how ya do.Matt

eyecatcher
07-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Well I didnt get out as early as I hoped today. No eyes in the boat girlfriend had a little one on, about a pound maybe. Got off swinging it in the boat, so its kinda counts. That was on a lindy rig and crawler. No other luck in that department. Only targeted walleye for a short time, headed over to the white bass party about 630 and it was out of control for about an hour. About 20 fish each in the boat for the 3 of us. It was fun. Trolled shad raps and a small pearl husky jerk. Not sure on the size of the husky jerk, the littlest one made I think. That lure was ON FIRE though. Ahhh fun little white bass. I PROMISE Ill be back with a walleye report sooner than later, but gotta enjoy the whites while they are going insane.