Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A little advice on Smithville

Post Thanks / Like

Post A little advice on Smithville

I am still really new to the Smithville lake and don't know my way around it real well yet either. I have been mainly just fishing right off the dock at crows creek but the luck really hasn't been with me since the spawn ended. I know I could get on them a lot better with a boat but beings we just moved to KC 6 months ago and I am in college I have no boat so i'm stuck fishing from the banks. I was curious if anyone would be willing to help me out on which direction I should head to try landing a few crappie. I realize without a boat my choices are limited but hopefully there are a few places I could catch a few. I know most people don't want to give up their secret locations and I don't blame ya a bit, but if you could help me out on a general area or anything that would be greatly appreciated. If you want to pm me that would be fine as well. Thank you all for all the advice I have learned on this site and for hopefully some location advice. Good Luck out there!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Try under the bridge near Camp Branch with a slip cork and minnows, 10 to 12 feet deep. Try to cast near the pilings. Take a fish measuring device with you, you'll need it. Early and late are best. The W bridge, off of 169 North should produce some as well.
    good luck

Post Thanks / Like

You don't need a boat to catch the fish I was catching today at Smithville. Just park at the end of the bridge, the opposite side of the marina. Walk down under the bridge and cast towards that closest pillar with a minnow or tube jig (white sparkle body with red head worked the best today by far... even better than minnows) You can try a float but I was having any luck with floats today. Just cast out towards that closest pillar and reel slowly (try to keep your tube jig in the 4-5ft depth range when you slow reel). This is all speculation. I was casting from that pillar towards the shore so you might not have as good of luck as I was having, but there are definitely fish to catch there. I know how it feels to not have a boat, only time I get out in the boat is when I go out with one of my buddies. Best of luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys thanks a bunch for the tips, as I said I'm still very new to the lake but very interested in learning more about it and where the good fishing can be found. I am hoping to make it up that way later this week once the heat backs down a bit. During the spawn I had pretty decent luck on crows creek dock but I haven't had any luck at all since then besides little 8 inchers few and far between casts. Once I make it back up there to the lake i'll be sure to post the outcome, hopefully with a little more fish to eat on. The lady of the house is starting to get mighty fish hungry.

Post Thanks / Like

There are also brush piles along the rocks on the north side of camp branch bridge. you can cast to the brush from the bank. both sides have brush about half way to the bridge.
    Feel the thump, hear the drag.
    "GET IT IN THE BOAT"