Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: canada trip

Post Thanks / Like

Default canada trip

Just got back from a fishing trip up to Ontario Canada to family cabin on Cedar Lake, fishing was great, couldn't seem to keep the smallmouth off of the line if you had a crankbait on, caught them, northern, walleye and of course perch, and unexpectedly we caught crappie, i guess a big flood three years ago introduced crappie to that lake and they have survived and multiplied, caught tons of them over 12" if i can figure out how to post pictures i will, but cant now and i cant figure it out yet, sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been hearing lots of good reports of crappie being caught on Cedar Lake. Most of them have been coming from Nelson and Peephole (Red Water bay).

I'd be interested in learning where and how to catch some of those perch. I'll be fishing Cedar Lake starting next Saturday. Of course, I'll be mainly searching for muskies..........However, I do enjoy eating some walleye and northern pike while there....actually, almost every day is a fish fry.

If you caught tons of crappie over 12", you are doing good, as most of the reports I have read the crappie are going between 9" and 11". I'm looking forward to any details you wish to share.

if you are ever interested in muskie fishing, let me know and I will be more than willing to help.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats awesome sure glad you had a good trip. We look forward in seeing those fish. Welcome back and glad it was a safe trip

Post Thanks / Like

always wanted to go to Canada,sounds like you had a real good trip.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a nice trip for sure, how do the locals like the crappie in there lake, are they ok with it.. bet it was nice up north, never been farther north than the dakotas and that was way to far for me... sounds like a good variety of fish also, hope your next trip is as enjoyable,,,,

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Trips are fun....period. Sounds like yours was great. I hope you figure out those pics. I'd love seeing 'em. Congrats.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

the locals like camp owners that we talked to were fine, said it hadn't had a effect on the fishing that they noticed for other species and its another meal to grow some of there big muskys and they go great in the frying pan. The details i have are most of the walleye we caught we drifting over weedbeds with a jig, minnow and throwing crankbaits, lighter colors seemed best, and crappie we caught were past the narrows by 4 o'clock bay with a minnow 2-3 foot under a cork drifting around that island on the west and north side of it and northern were good there too, actually northern were basically everywhere we went weeds seemed best and crankbaits and mepps were the best lure for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Man I love that lake and Perrault too. Which lodge did you stay with? Our group has caught several big muskies in those coves by the burnt bridge. Hey did you cross at international falls and did they ask you about your criminal records?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great trip. We make it to MN every year and are thinking about Canada next year. I'm also curious if they asked about criminal records. I've been told a DWI from 12 years ago will keep me out .. I really wouldn't want to plan the whole thing, drive all the way up there and then be told I can't come in the country.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billd2626 View Post
    Sounds like a great trip. We make it to MN every year and are thinking about Canada next year. I'm also curious if they asked about criminal records. I've been told a DWI from 12 years ago will keep me out .. I really wouldn't want to plan the whole thing, drive all the way up there and then be told I can't come in the country.
    Canada Welcomes You!

"After 10 years you may be eligible with one less serious criminal conviction" Sounds like after 10 years you may be ok. It may be worth contacting their government. If you do, I would make sure to keep and carry the documents your receive. Good luck.

Some just risk being caught and make plans if they are caught. I'm sure they don't take their car or truck, nor drive.

When we crossed the border last year, I was driving and was asked to remove my sun glasses. They guy looked at my passport card and then at me. The funny part was that my fishing partner had lost a lot of weight, shaved off his beird, etc. and didn't look any thing like his passport card. Any change in appearance, requires renewing your passport with updated pictures, which he did for this year.

The Passport card is cheaper.....good only traveling by car or boat....check it out...

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast