Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trip Report

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Trip Report

Just got back from my yearly month (March) in ARK. Tryed a new area. Fished Lake Dunn, Lake Austell, Lake Greenee (?) off of Hwy 70 at Brinkley and Lake Poinsett. Larger crappie's were to the lakeside (outside) of the wood etc. not between the wood and the shore. Approximately 50 yards from shore and NOT in the wood in the Bay's. Lake Dunn, off the swim beach bay in the center of the bay between the 1st stump and shore got some biggies - 17 inches (and heavy) the largest, the others 15 inches, but only 7 the 1st time I fished it. Shorline only produced small bluegills and a zillion bass 12 to 15 inches average. Next day went to Austell, and fished it a lot after. Lots of 12 inch to 14 inchers every time I went out off the swim beach to the lakeside in front of the wood. Here again, shoreline produced only small bass. Didn't get any bluegills on Austell. The reason I fished Austell is that I was able to get crappie without using a sinktip line (which I had to use on Dunn) - which is more work casting. Lake Greenee, lots of crappie, easy to catch but mostly 12 inches with a few a little bigger. I did not fish the "back part" of the lake under the wood bridge. Lake Poinsett. Nice sized crappie - 15 inches and heavy - and lots of 10 inch - but enough of the bigger fish to keep things interesting. Bluegill's small - but I saw "locals" just checking water in places for beds and then going back to their cottages. I did not cover alot of the lake because of its size and I'm rowing a cataraft and I had some pretty windy days! All things considered I think next year back to the Camden area. Never caught a bluegill at my favorite lake under a pound - honest. And the crappies don't have to be ashamed either. Main reason tho, the lakes in the area are better suited for flyfishing. Thats the report. Had another great time in ARK. Have fun fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

great report...sounds like you caught some really nice crappie. Were you after bluegill though? Im assuming since it sounds like your fly fishing you were. What were you fishing with to catch the crappie? Im heading to Austell and Dunn in 2 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good trip!